Do I have enough equipment to network my computers.

Old September 11th 04, 11:57 PM
computernewby

Default Do I have enough equipment to network my computers.

I have broadband cable from the wall into the cable modem. From the modem
it goes to the 624 Dlink router. From the router there is cat 5 cable
hooked to the computer ethernet card.

In another room I have a desktop with a wireless PCI adapter. The internet
connection on both is good but I want to share files between the computers.

I have followed all the instructions to set up the network according to the
XP PRO network wizard and have verified that both computers are sharing
files. They are using the same network default name of MSHOME.

Is it possible this is a hardware issue if both computers can connect to the
internet or does it sound like a setup problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jimminy Cricket

Old September 12th 04, 12:57 AM
Colin Wilson

I have followed all the instructions to set up the network according to the
XP PRO network wizard and have verified that both computers are sharing
files. They are using the same network default name of MSHOME.
Is it possible this is a hardware issue if both computers can connect to the
internet or does it sound like a setup problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a setup problem to me.

Do the machines have passwords set up for the user accounts - a recent
post said something about possibly needing to set up an account with the
same details on the other machines for XP Pro (no need in XP Home - I did
it the other day to a win98se machine)

Do you have a firewall on either machine at present ? (if so, it might be
worth disabling it for now to eliminate that from the possible list of
problems)

Can you ping either machine from the other one ?

Old September 12th 04, 02:21 AM
Tom Scales

The XP Firewall stops file sharing.

Also, did you actually Share any drives and folders? Have to do that.

Tom
t...