Dead Pesario 5423 US

Old April 2nd 04, 06:08 AM
RAF

Default Dead Pesario 5423 US

I'm attempting to rejuvenate a non-booting Presario, 5423 US. The hints of
life include
*the green power light
*one quick flash of the keyboard lights when the power is first tuned on
*the spinning CPU fan
*a few seconds of CD drives flashing, although when there is a CD in the
drive, nothing happens

Nothing is ever sent to the screen, so no BIOS etc, and the keyboard never
does anything.

What I've tried:
*removing all PCI cards
*a different known functioning video card
*disconnecting all drive cables
*removing the two 256MB PC2100 DDR DRAM chips and trying them one at a time
*disconnecting the front USB connector from the mobo
*disconnecting power, holding the yellow BIOS reset for 10 seconds

Nothing changes.

It appears to me that it has to be the Compaq mobo or the Intel P4 1.6 CPU.

Ideas? Something I've missed? Suggestions for replacement mobo/CPU?

TIA
Dick

Old April 2nd 04, 09:17 AM
David

Was it working and died or did you get it like this? Is the PS fan spinning
freely? You probably did this already, but make sure the ATX and P4 power
connectors are both firmly connected. Try PCI video card / PS/2 keyboard?
Will it try to boot from a floppy disk? If it's truly dead, Compaq Spider
boards show up on eBay all the time. Note that the DDR and SDRAM versions
are almost identical. 2 DDR RAM sockets vs 3 SDRAM.

Old April 2nd 04, 11:39 AM
HH

When in doubt, clear CMOS. Open the case. Inside there should be a sticker
showing the location of and how to use the CMOS clear jumper switch. Make
sure the PC is unplugged first.
HH

Old April 2nd 04, 04:06 PM
RAF

It was working and died at the users home, whereupon it came to me. It was
defective when it came last night, and now again this morning, there is no
change. They said it had done this once before, but then it worked again
without having made any changes.

The PS fan does spin freely, as does the CPU fan. I haven't tired the ATX &
P4 power connectors - will do. I also didn't yet try a PCI video card, ditto
with other keyboard and mouse.

No boot from floppy - that drive light never flashes. It never gets to any
BIOS at all. eBay may be a good possibility, as the computer is too new to
discard!

Is it your opinion that it is the mobo and not the CPU? Or power supply
(which seems to function fine)?

Thanks again.

Dick

link.net...

Old April 3rd 04, 01:46 AM
David

Could be any of those things. You've already cleared the CMOS correctly. You
might also try removing the battery for awhile and see if there's any
change. If the connections are good and the board lights up, next thing I
would do is try the individual components in another machine. I've got a
5321SR apart right now so if there's anything I can eyeball for you let me
know.

&
P4 power connectors - will do. I also didn't yet try a PCI video card,

ditto
with other keyboard and mouse.

No boot from floppy - that drive light never flashes. It never gets to any
BIOS at all. eBay may be a good possibility, as the computer is too new

discard!

Is it your opinion that it is the mobo and not the CPU? Or power supply
(which seems to function fine)?

Thanks again.

Dick

link.net...