Updating drivers

Old January 1st 04, 09:24 PM
Stan

Default Updating drivers

My OS is XP. I have a radeon 7500 video card with a driver version
6.13.10.6166. My display screen is flickering so I suspect that I should
upgrade my driver. I've never done this before. Can someone help me as to
the correct process to take.
I've gone to ATI site and see " CATALYST Windows XP 3.10 - Driver
Download", but I don't see any where that it tells me that it's for my video
card.
Tkanks in advance.

Old January 1st 04, 09:40 PM
Jean Jasinczuk

If your screen is flickering, the driver is probably not the cause.
There are very few (any?) improvement in the recent version of the
driver for the old card like the Radeon 7500.
For the flickering, I would suspect first the refresh rate not being set
properly if you have a CRT monitor.
On the XP destop, right click and select properties.
On the display properties form, select the "settings tab" then the
"advanced" button.
Then select "monitor". If your "Screen refresh rate" is 60 hertz and you
have a CFT monitor, this is the cause of the flickering. Set it to 75
Hertz minimum (the higher the best but be carefull, it could damage an
"old" monitor if set at the speed that it can't handle).
If you have an LCD monitor, 60 hertz is fine.

Old January 1st 04, 09:51 PM
Stan

Sorry, but maybe flickering is not the proper term. The screen appears to
want to briefly go smaller and so it shakes a bit at the same time.

Old January 1st 04, 10:02 PM
Lithurge

"Stan" wrote in

Stan wrote:
[...]

Sounds more like a dodgy connection or something on the way
out. It's not clear from your original post as to whether
this has just happened without you doing anything or if it
occured after an upgrade? e.g. you've just installed XP, got
a new monitor etc...

If it's something that's started happening with no real
reason then it's probably either the card or the monitor on
it's way out. Try connecting a friends monitor to see if it
carries on.
Old January 1st 04, 10:46 PM
J.Clarke

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:51:09 GMT
"Stan" wrote:

Sorry, but maybe flickering is not the proper term. The screen appears
to want to briefly go smaller and so it shakes a bit at the same time.

That sounds like a power problem.

Stan wrote:
My OS is XP. I have a radeon 7500 video card with a driver
version 6.13.10.6166. My display screen is flickering so I
suspect that I

should
upgrade my driver. I've never done this before. Can someone help
me as

the correct process to take.
I've gone to ATI site and see " CATALYST Windows XP 3.10 - Driver
Download", but I don't see any where that it tells me that it's
for my

video
card.
Tkanks in advance.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 1st 04, 11:05 PM
Kent_Diego

Sorry, but maybe flickering is not the proper term. The screen appears to
want to briefly go smaller and so it shakes a bit at the same time.

Listen at the back of your monitor for arcing sound. You may be able to save
monitor if you clean all dirt and dust off the high Voltage section before
permanent damage is done.

-Kent