9600 Pro DVI question

Old November 28th 03, 02:46 AM
J.Clarke

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:23:58 GMT
"Mike" wrote:

Had a Sony SDM-X73 17" LCD all picked out to go with Connect3D's
Radeon 9600 Pro.
I just noticed that the 9600 has the DVI-I connector and the Sony LCD
has a DVI-D cable.
These two are not compatible are they?

Yes, they are compatible. DVI-I has both the digital and the analog
signals on the same connector, DVI-D does not include the analog
signals. You should be able to plug your DVI-D cable into your 9600 and
have it work just fine.

Any thoughts on a DVI-D card that rivals the 9600 Pro and in the same
price range?

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old November 28th 03, 02:36 PM
Mike

I think i found my answer:
http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Video-Flat.htm

Old November 29th 03, 01:43 PM
Mike

"arth" wrote in message ...
both work fine for me with the supplied cable (and have an analogue crt as
secondary)

arth,
How do you like that new Sony LCD?

Old November 30th 03, 11:55 AM
arth

Mike,
I like it a lot so far, however it is sitting next to a fuzzy 10yr old
Iiyama crt......

Subjectively:
It does not feel 'grainy' like the 18" LG I use at work (both 1280x1024
native) and it seems fairly equally bright over the whole screen compared
with the 15" Compaqs we also have, which show a lot more noticable
light/dark patterning. I haven't spotted any dead pixels yet.
The vertical view angle does not seem as wide as I was expecting. There is
more change in brightness and hue for not much raising/lowering of head
height, compared with horizontal movement, which shows hardly any change for
quite a large angle.
The OSD/menus are easy.
I don't use the built-in 'speakers'.
I would like it to tilt back a bit more sometimes.
3 inputs is great.
It is 15% too expensive.

Also it is still to be put through it's paces for all the uses it will get
(programming, photography, video, games etc...) so I don't know about colour
accuracy yet.

Arth