What the heck did I do wrong? Fried my A7N8X Deluxe?

Old November 29th 03, 05:43 PM
Don Burnette

Milleron wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:30:00 -0600, "Don Burnette"
wrote:

P2B wrote:
Don Burnette wrote:
Here's one for the books, if anyone has any idea what I did wrong,
I would be curious to know, as I don't want this to happen again.

Did you remove standby power and take ESD precautions while working
inside the case? Failure to do either or both could have killed your
motherboard.

The chances of damage are very low - I know people who have built
and upgraded many computers with standby power on and a poke at the
case to discharge static electricity, and gotten away with it, but
sooner or later...

OTOH, it's more likely your motherboard just died naturally at the
same time you decided to install a new CPU. - cooling and warming
cycles stress electronic components, so they tend to fail at power
on or shortly thereafter rather than while running. The board might
have failed then even if you'd just shut down & taken the cover off
to blow dust out.

Another possibility is solder failure - the board always flexes a
bit during cooler installation, which can be the last straw for a
bad solder joint.

Yes, I took all the precautions that I usually do. Used my
anti-static wrist strap, made sure power was off and drained, etc.
Perhaps the board just plain failed at that time.
One thing that may have done it - I put the new cpu, heatsink,
memory, etc in while the board was still mouted to the slide in mb
tray. This allowed it to flex down a little as pushed memory in, etc.
Perhaps it just had a bad solder joint that cracked at that time -
who knows, I will be puzzled over that one for a while. Perhaps I
should have removed the mb from the tray and kept it on a flat
surface.

That's almost surely the reason the board failed. I've gotten away
with replacing a heat sink without removing the board from the case,
but I knew at the time that it was likely to break something (I did it
because I didn't really care if I had to upgrade motherboards).
Ron

Yes, I have about narrowed it down to either that or a corrupt bios.
Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

Old November 29th 03, 05:45 PM
Don Burnette

Shep© wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:09:17 -0600, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Don Burnette"
wrote :

Here's one for the books, if anyone has any idea what I did wrong, I
would be curious to know, as I don't want this to happen again.

I had an A7N8X Deluxe version 1.4. Had always been rock solid for
me. I was running an Athlon XP2400+ in it, and decided to drop an
Athlon XP 2600+ Barton in it, since the prices were so reasonable
now.

I hve built many computers, and upgraded cpu's many times with no
problems. So I get the new chip, install it, install a Thermalrite
SLK900 heatsink w/ 92mm fan, using Arctic Silver 3.
Turned it on, immediately went into bios to correctly set the fsb.
Exited saving changes, and it started to boot, then gave some error
message about cpu changing, then shut itself off.
Try as I might, I could not get it to post again. I would turn it
on, the hdd activity light would stay solid, and it would not even
post. I checked all my connections, verified everything was correct,
still no go. I reseated all my cards and ram, no go. I took
everything out but video card, no go. I tried clearing the cmos,
still no go.
No post, no beeps, nothing. Monitor's power led was orange rather
than green, so it obviously was not getting a signal.
Treid replacing the cmos battery, and clearing it again - still , no
post. Tried putting the XP2400+ chip back in, to make sure the new
Barton chip was not bad. Still, no post..

At a loss, I figured I must have somehow fried my motherboard. So, I
orded a new A7N8X Deluxe version 2, and had it overnighted in from
Newegg.com.
Put the new motherboard in, hooked everything up, including putting
my new Barton 2600+ with SLK 900 h/s, and she posted and booted
just fine, and has been running fine for the last 4 hours so far.

What in the world could have happened? This one has me stumped.
I did everthing correct, so I thought. I did it like I always do. I
never could get that mb to post again.

I am just curious, any ideas on what may have gone wrong? Seems like
I remember reading on these forums some cmos issue these earlier
boards had that could render them dead maybe??

OH, and one last question. I installed the Asus drivers off the
included cd rom. Any advantage to updating to the newer drivers from
Nvidia.com?

Thanks,

You cannot fully clear the CMOS on ATX powered systems with power to
the board.I would have removed the power cable and then cleared the
CMOS as any incorrect Data in the CMOS can prevent P.O.S.T :/
As an over clocker many times i've had to do this when I've set an
incorrect or too high BIOS parameter like upping the RAM speeds or the
FSB and then re-booted to a,"NO" P.O.S.T :O

I shut the system down, turned the power off, unplugged the power supply -
pressed the power button just to make sure no more juice was in there.
I then removed the cmos battery, moved the jumpers to 2-3 as stated in the
manual, put the jumpers back on 1-2, replaced the battery, and it still
would not post.

I think I may have damaged the board installing the cpu, ram, and h/s while
board was mounted on slide out tray - rather than flat surface.
Either that , or I managed to corrupt the bios.

At least my new version 2 board is working well so far, thanks all for the
tips.

Don Burnette

--
Don Burnette

remove clothes when replying via email

Old November 30th 03, 01:18 PM
Shep©

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:43:36 -0600, My brain dual boots Concious and
Subconcious but I never had a choice but then "Don Burnette"

wrote:

P2B wrote:
Don Burnette wrote:
[...]

What BIOS is it? e.g Award/AMI?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old November 30th 03, 01:28 PM
frans

maybe the 92 mm fan from your cooler is rotating below 2000 rpm.
My A7N8Xdeluxe2.0 wouldn't start up at al with an enermax 92mm adjustable
fan until i adjusted the fan at max speed.

"Don Burnette" schreef in bericht

Old November 30th 03, 02:53 PM
Don Burnette

wrote :

Milleron wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:30:00 -0600, "Don Burnette"
wrote:

snip

That's almost surely the reason the board failed. I've gotten away
with replacing a heat sink without removing the board from the case,
but I knew at the time that it was likely to break something (I did
it because I didn't really care if I had to upgrade motherboards).
Ron

Yes, I have about narrowed it down to either that or a corrupt bios.
Thanks,

What BIOS is it? e.g Award/AMI?

Award bios, version 1.04 I believe.

--
Don Burnette

Old November 30th 03, 02:55 PM
Don Burnette

Hmm, may be something there, let me check it out - it is a variable speed
Antec Smartcool fan, however I have it plugged straight it for constant
speed.
Let me see what mbm and the bios report it at.

Don Burnette

Old November 30th 03, 03:05 PM
Don Burnette

Hmmm, ok this is strange.

My bios for my A7N8X Deluxe version 2.0 reports:
MB Temp - 26
CPU - 37
CPU Fan - 1854
Chassis Fan - 2500
Power fan - 1700

However, MBM 5 reports:

Case - 24C
CPU Diode - 40C
CPU Socket - 43C
Fan1 - 3600
Fan2 - 5100
Fan3 - 3300

So which would be correct?
After installing the new mb, I downloaded and installed the latest version
of mbm ( removing the previous version), and chose the A7N8X Deluxe 2
configuration mode.

Perhaps I should put the variable speed lead on the cpu fan...

Don Burnette

Old November 30th 03, 03:52 PM
Don Burnette

Whoa...

I don't think that Antec Smartcool 92mm fan is a good fan for a cpu.
I just took it off my SLK 900, and replaced it with the Delta 80mm fan that
I was using previously on my XP2400+ with SLK 800, and now my cpu diode and
socket temps have dropped about 10 degrees C.

Now my Diode is 30C, and socket is 33C.

Now of course, I have to wonder, was the 92mm variable fan the reason my
previous A7N8X Deluxe version 1.04 would not post?
The delta fan is turning 3800 rpm - however MBM reports it at 7500 rpm -
wierd.

I think my 2600+ Barton is happier now .

Don Burnette

Old November 30th 03, 04:39 PM
P2B

Don Burnette wrote:
Whoa...

I don't think that Antec Smartcool 92mm fan is a good fan for a cpu.
I just took it off my SLK 900, and replaced it with the Delta 80mm fan that
I was using previously on my XP2400+ with SLK 800, and now my cpu diode and
socket temps have dropped about 10 degrees C.

Now my Diode is 30C, and socket is 33C.

Now of course, I have to wonder, was the 92mm variable fan the reason my
previous A7N8X Deluxe version 1.04 would not post?
The delta fan is turning 3800 rpm - however MBM reports it at 7500 rpm -
wierd.

I think my 2600+ Barton is happier now .

Don Burnette

MBM is reporting all your fan speeds at twice the actual rpm - it needs
to be set to divide by two.

Old December 1st 03, 07:41 AM
Smoke

"Don Burnette" wrote in message
[...]

I had a computer one time that would lock up only when running a certain
program and then when doing a certain operation. The problem got worse over
a period of a few months but only when I ran that program(auto sketch). I
had several other programs that I regularly used that caused no problems.
Finally the whole computer locked up. I tried everything to find the problem
and while in the process of reinstalling the operating system I discovered
that if the computer was rebooted after running, about 50% of the time I
would get memory errors on the POST and if I shut the computer off for few
seconds the memory would pass the POST. I replaced the memory and the
problem never returned.

A ram memory error would show up on the post(AFAIK). The point I am trying
to make is that not only changing the CPU but certain programs can burn up
the MB if you have marginal chips on them. ASUS's are high quality MBs but
even so how many are used with the Athlon XP 2600+?
Is someone pushing the limit? Is the broken MB still on warrantee?