Norton Ghost - Clone Won't Work

Old October 14th 04, 07:55 PM
jimbo

Default Norton Ghost - Clone Won't Work

I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
"master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo
Old October 15th 04, 01:49 AM
Al Smith

[...]

Wow, confusing time trying to understand your procedure. You want
to clone your Windows XP drive, which is your D drive (not the
boot drive) to your new drive, which you want to install as C,
right? So you can boot up Windows XP, right?

Well, if you D drive is not your boot drive, Windows XP on it
won't be set up to boot as C, will it? It will be booting from the
boot loader in the boot partition on your C drive, with Windows
98. Unless I'm even more confused than I think. ??? So when you
clone the original D drive (W XP) to your new, empty C drive, no
wonder it won't boot.
Old October 15th 04, 02:33 AM
Al Smith

Is this correct when XP is the os on the C drive with no other OS in the
system:

1. make the C drive a slave on channel 1
2. put the new drive in as a master on channel 1
3. run ghost from floppies
4. clone from slave to master
5. reboot

That's the way I do it, although I've never used Ghost
specifically. I use other software. Seems to work.
Old October 15th 04, 07:07 AM
David Maynard

jimbo wrote:

I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
"master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo

Hmm. I can't be sure because I can't see your registry but I suspect it's
because of how Windows XP serializes the drives and the new drive isn't
what it thinks should be the system drive (actually, it isn't 'anything'
when it first boots because it hasn't been identified and serialized yet,
but it may be by now, to whatever XP thought it should be).

On a single drive system it would normally figure out that the 'new' drive
is the 'new' C (if one removes the old one completely, else the OLD one
remains C and the new one gets a new letter, which causes all sorts of
problems) but with an existing drive as your boot drive I'm not sure how
it's resolving the new drive's letter, and that's what I suspect is going
wrong. Somehow it's getting confused as to which should be the 'C' drive
and which is the 'D' (or whatever).

What did XP call the two OLD drives? You say 'C' and 'D' but which was
which in Windows 98 and Windows XP. Did they both call each one by the same
letter?

Old October 15th 04, 07:33 AM
David Maynard

Al Smith wrote:

[...]

If I read it right he's copying the old slave to the new drive and then
putting the new drive in as slave, replacing the old one, with the new
drive's temporary life as 'master' only for the copy process. The 'idea' is
ok but I'm not so sure the implementation of it is 'ok'.

Bad form to call them C and D, though, because that assumes how XP assigned
the letters and it isn't the same as Win9x. Plus, once serialized, XP knows
which one is which even if you move them to different IDE locations.

That can be a real 'gotcha' if you intend to clone an old drive to a new
one and still use the old one as a second, storage, drive. One might think
you could simply move the old drive to slave (gonna be 'D', you THINK),
install new drive as master (gonna be 'D', you THINK), clone old to new,
and boot 'er up on the new 'C' (you THINK) drive. However, if you DO it
that way it'll boot from the master BUT as soon as XP awakens it'll assign
the new drive to 'D' (or some other letter, depending on configuration)
because 'C' is still there (IDE slave notwithstanding) and merrily finish
OLD DRIVE IS still C even though its the slave and you THINK its 'D'.

You need to REMOVE the old drive so that, when XP discovers the new one,
'C' is unused and XP can assign 'C' to the new drive.

I suspect there's some 'drive letter' confusion in his cloned copy but I
can't quite place my finger on it.

Old October 15th 04, 04:27 PM
jimbo

jimbo wrote:
I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
"master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo

Thanks for the replies. Here is some clarification. Yes, I had Win98 on
the master HD. WinXP was on the slave HD. The reason is that I had a
Win98 system and then decided to try WinXP. Dual boot seemed a
conservative way to try XP without one big leap.

Anyway, my WinXP drive is getting full and I wanted to replace it with a
new, larger drive. And I didn't want to lose data or have to reinstall
everything. So, I thought I could clone a new slave HD from the existing
WinXP HD, swap it for the old, small WinXP HD and be in business. No
such luck. The drive letter issue may be the problem.

Is there a way to accomplish wat I want?

Thanks, jimbo
Old October 15th 04, 05:15 PM
jaster

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:55:05 -0700, jimbo wrote:

I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D" with
WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger physical hard
drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning a drive using
Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and connected the new
hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master" the same as the "C"
drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies and I cloned drive 2 to
drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I disconnected the new drive and
changed the jumper to "slave". Then I reconnected the "C" drive. Then I
disconnected the "D" drive and connected the new drive in it's place. Now
when I boot to WinXP it fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue
screen with an error message appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo

I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
the old D drive not the new drive. With the new D drive installed try
booting from your WinXP CD go into repair XP and run fixboot. If that
doesn't fix the problem then you'll need to boot the XP CD go into install
mode and then repair the installed XP.

When I clone a drive I use the drive vendor's utility to make a
clone of the drive.
Old October 15th 04, 05:18 PM
Peter

In article ,
says...
jimbo wrote:
[...]

So do you get the dual boot menu when the computer first starts with the
new drive D attached?

Anyway, my WinXP drive is getting full and I wanted to replace it with a
new, larger drive. And I didn't want to lose data or have to reinstall
everything. So, I thought I could clone a new slave HD from the existing
WinXP HD, swap it for the old, small WinXP HD and be in business. No
such luck. The drive letter issue may be the problem.

Is there a way to accomplish wat I want?

Not sure why it shouldn't have worked, unless the cloning didn't work
correctly. All files from D should be getting accessed as usual when
you boot to D.

Before you decided to copy to your new D drive what did you use to
partition and format it, and make it 'active'?
--
Pete Ives
Old October 15th 04, 05:22 PM
Al Smith

If I read it right he's copying the old slave to the new drive and then putting the new drive in as slave, replacing the old one, with the new drive's temporary life as 'master' only for the copy process. The 'idea' is ok but I'm not so sure the implementation of it is 'ok'.

Bad form to call them C and D, though, because that assumes how XP assigned the letters and it isn't the same as Win9x. Plus, once serialized, XP knows which one is which even if you move them to different IDE locations.

[snip]

Even more confusing than I thought.
Old October 15th 04, 06:49 PM
Art

"jimbo" wrote in message
jimbo wrote:
[...]

Jimbo:
From your description, it would seem that you correctly performed the
cloning operation. I take it you rec'd no error msgs. from Ghost during or
immediately following the cloning of your drive. And if I recall correctly,
you previously stated that after replacing the old drive with the
newly-cloned one, you were able to access that drive after booting up with
your C: drive (the Win98 OS) with both drives connected. And from what you
determined after perusing the data on your newly-cloned D: drive (the XP
OS), it seemed to you that the contents on the old drive had been
successfully cloned to the new one. Do I have this right so far?

1. Did you try to repeat the cloning operation just on the off-chance that
the first clone did not "take"?

2. When you boot, do you get the multi-boot menu so that you can choose
which of the two operating systems to boot to?

3. Assuming you do, you mention that you get the BSOD with an error message
when you attempt to boot into your XP OS. What is the specific error
message?

4. Could you post the contents of your boot.ini file that resides in the C:\
directory?

Art