Are these decent deals

Old October 10th 08, 03:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Default Are these decent deals

I got a mailing from Staples. The following will be on sale starting 10/12:

Sandisk Cruzar 4 gig flash drive -- $17.99

Maxtor 500 gb ext. hard drive $89.99

I think one can't go wrong with the first item? Correct?

What about the second deal?
I can use another external hard drive. I've had one for about 4 years. It's
a WD brand and I am very pleased with it. Years ago I heard some negative
opinions on Maxtor. Is that still the collective opinion here?

Mel

Old October 10th 08, 04:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

The 4GB flash drive is a good deal. Even better, Staples has Sandisk 8GB flash
drives for under $30. I got myself two of them at a slightly lower sale price.

I would not hit a dog in the ass with a Maxtor drive. I would not give one to
my worst enemy. A low price for garbage means that it is lower priced garbage
than usual... Ben Myers

Old October 10th 08, 08:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Sandisk Cruzar 4 gig flash drive -- $17.99

That's a pretty good deal from a well respected name. Sure, why not?

Maxtor 500 gb ext. hard drive $89.99

No, no, no, no, no, no, no and no. Did I say no? g

I have exactly three Maxtor drives that continue to give reliable
service. The rest (and there have been lot, both belonging to me and
others) have been bad news. I don't know if they've gotten any better
since Seagate bought them. I doubt it and don't plan to find out.

William
Old October 10th 08, 11:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:01:26 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

The 4GB flash drive is a good deal. Even better, Staples has Sandisk 8GB flash
drives for under $30. I got myself two of them at a slightly lower sale price.

I got a 8gig and love it for my files for troubleshooting, etc.. . I
actually want a 16gig but they are too pricey for now. I got a
couple of 4's and 2's lying around. I might be tempted for another
8gig??? if it's well priced. I agree, I'd skip the Maxtor drive
too.

Old October 11th 08, 05:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

At the time of the acquistion, a Seagate press release stated that the Maxtor
brand name and current technology would be retained, and that the Maxtor line
would be positioned as a consumer product. Ergo, Maxtor remains cheaply
designed and manufactured low quality stuff sold to consumers who are often
ignorant of brand name quality and who do not have the financial clout to stuff
broken products back down the Seagate-Maxtor throat. Sure enough. Maxtor
drives turn up in retail big box stores and in cheap consumer-oriented computers
such as HP Pavilions, Compaq Presarios and GateMachines.

The best we can all hope for is that the Maxtor tarnish does not rub off on
Seagate drives and that Seagate finishes its production runs of Maxtor drives
and substitutes its own more reliable technology to sell under the Maxtor name.
AFAIK, the latter has not happened yet... Ben Myers

Hi!

Old October 11th 08, 07:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris

"MZB" wrote in
:

I got a mailing from Staples. The following will be on sale starting
10/12:

Sandisk Cruzar 4 gig flash drive -- $17.99

Maxtor 500 gb ext. hard drive $89.99

I think one can't go wrong with the first item? Correct?

What about the second deal?
I can use another external hard drive. I've had one for about 4 years.
It's a WD brand and I am very pleased with it. Years ago I heard some
negative opinions on Maxtor. Is that still the collective opinion
here?

Mel

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...&om_keycode=85

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...&om_keycode=85

How often does Dell have deals? [email protected] Dell Computers 5 April 30th 08 12:28 AM
XPS deals Steve Dell Computers 3 June 13th 07 12:29 AM
Any good deals here? Rick F. Compaq Servers 4 June 15th 06 03:48 PM
Decent CDR deals on the high-street? Paul Hutchings UK Computer Vendors 5 July 25th 05 10:09 AM
TFT - any deals going? bigbrian UK Computer Vendors 2 October 21st 03 12:19 PM