XPS410 -- suddenly I can't see

Old October 10th 08, 03:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Default XPS410 -- suddenly I can't see

XP Pro, no remote, just keyboard. It's purely a server.

Weird, huh.

Old October 10th 08, 04:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 02:16:19 GMT, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

Yes, Yes and Yes.

I'm guessing an intermittent problem with the internal NIC, but it is
weird that it can always see 'out'. I'll try a gigabit PCI card one of
these days.

Tom

Why not switch cards from another 410 that works and see if that
switches the problem from one to the other ? That would definitely
tell you if it's the card or not.
Old October 10th 08, 05:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

The XPS410 has an on-board NIC. I sort of doubt that Tom is so skilled with
soldering and desoldering equipment that he would hazard the task of swapping
on-board NIC chips. ;)

I have to chalk this one up to the vagaries of Windows. One way to find out is
to install Windows on a spare drive, if Tom has one available and can stand the
pain-in-the-ass Windows install procedure... Ben Myers

Old October 10th 08, 06:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 00:54:16 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

The XPS410 has an on-board NIC. I sort of doubt that Tom is so skilled with
soldering and desoldering equipment that he would hazard the task of swapping
on-board NIC chips. ;)

Oops my bad. Thanks Ben for catching my mistake.
And sorry Tom that my brain died when you mentioned an on board NIC.

ps- I'm leary about a hardware fault but if the thing is getting a
lot of heat build up inside, who knows??? Maybe Tom is correct and
certainly not a big deal to try a pci card to find out.
Old October 10th 08, 09:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding[_2_]

Tom Scales wrote:
I am having the weirdest problem. I have an XPS410 running XP. Boot
the machine, it works fine. Internet access works. File shares on
other machines work. Other machines can see file shares on this
machine.

After awhile, from minutes to days, other machines can no longer see the
file shares on this machine and RealVNC can't connect. This machine can
still connect to other machines, both RealVNC and file shares.
Rebooting fixes the problem.

Figuring it was a typical 'been running this install awhile' problem, I
formatted the machine and did a fresh XP install.

Worked great.

For two weeks.

The then symptom returned. I have three other, almost identical,
machines and they work just fine. No problems at all.

At first I was afraid you might be going blind.

Have you checked to see if the workgroup name of the failing box is
still the same as the others? I've seen this happen a few times.
Old October 10th 08, 11:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

But that is the problem. I formatted and reinstalled Windows from
scratch. No firewall other than Windows firewall. AVG anti-virus.
There are only two applications installed. AVG and BeyondTV. That is
ALL it is used for.

You can't even ping it with its IP address.

Old October 10th 08, 11:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Yes, same workgroup and since it works intermittently it seems like that
isn't the issue. Good thought.

Old October 10th 08, 11:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Conversation: XPS410 -- suddenly I can't see

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:42:07 -0400, "Christopher Muto"
wrote:

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
[...]

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

Overlooked power management setting for the network adapter?
Intermittent failure on the NIC?

Have a PCI NIC lying around for giggles?

Nothing but guesses.

my thoughts are the same as stew's plus i would also consider

checking
the port on the network hub or perhaps just use another port to see

if
that
makes the problem goes away (some 'smart' switches shut down a port

that
generates lots of errors, restarting the pc would reinitiate this

cycle of
it initially working but later being shut down). also, might be

suspect of
the 'security' (firewall) software that might be in use on this

system
vs
that used on the others.

To repeat what Christopher said, you might try uninstalling your
anti-virus/firewall program(s) to see if that makes a difference. I
had a similar problem once caused by my anti-virus program. Pausing
protection didn't fix the problem, but when I uninstalled the program
and rebooted, the shared folders on the machine suddenly became
visible to the other machines on the network.

Problem happens even when run bare of Anti-virus. Only firewall is
Windows in its default settings. Turning it off doesn't help.

Old October 10th 08, 12:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:05:24 -0400, Tony Harding
wrote:

Tom Scales wrote:
[...]

Earlier I thought of that but I dismissed it because he didn't say
anything about changing it. I haven't seen it change unless by
software or human intervention.

That's why often in network problems, they discuss pinging the pc's
because that bypasses the windows OS including the name of the
workgroup. Pinging pc's usually has to do with cabling / hardware.
Old October 10th 08, 12:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:29:50 GMT, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

Yes, same workgroup and since it works intermittently it seems like that
isn't the issue. Good thought.

Might as well uinstall the TCP/IP stack and reinstalling it.
Sometimes that go faulty.

Also is the network cable good ?

New BIOS posted 12/07 for XPS410 Tony Harding Dell Computers 6 December 8th 07 05:48 AM
xps410 with headphones doug Dell Computers 1 March 7th 07 06:02 PM
xps410 sound card RnR Dell Computers 3 January 20th 07 04:28 AM
Problem with new XPS410 Sparky Spartacus Dell Computers 26 September 20th 06 07:56 AM