General Question about Compaqs?

Old April 18th 04, 10:08 PM
Larry

Default General Question about Compaqs?

Looking at compaq's with the AMD chip and i am wondering if they are
anygood or not?.I have only had pentium HP8275 p2 300mhz.

Thanks Larry
Old April 18th 04, 10:41 PM
Cadmus

Anything is better than what you have.

Old April 18th 04, 11:27 PM
Gojira

AMD has gotten pretty close to Intel,a close second,I'd say.And they are
considerably less expensive.

Old April 19th 04, 12:44 AM
HH

I just bought a Presario S5200CL with an Athlon XP 2600. It's faster than
the 2.53GHz P4 I had before. The integrated GeForce 4 video is nice, too.
HH

Old April 19th 04, 02:37 AM
Larry

Larry wrote in
:

Looking at compaq's with the AMD chip and i am wondering if they are
anygood or not?.I have only had pentium HP8275 p2 300mhz.

Thanks Larry

Thanks for the help. Hp is long on the tooth may just use it for storage.
Larry
Old April 19th 04, 03:35 PM
Quaoar

Larry wrote:
Larry wrote in
:

Looking at compaq's with the AMD chip and i am wondering if they are
anygood or not?.I have only had pentium HP8275 p2 300mhz.

Thanks Larry

Thanks for the help. Hp is long on the tooth may just use it for
storage. Larry

Use it for a print server, convert to Linux and use it for a
firewall/print server. It might be old, but many of these functions
don't require massive CPU power.

Old April 21st 04, 09:35 PM
Gamester

Looking at compaq's with the AMD chip and i am wondering if they are
anygood or not?.I have only had pentium HP8275 p2 300mhz.

I got the S6300NX a couple of weeks ago. Good power fast and efficient but I
have noted 2 shortcomings;
the modem has only 1 line port so you cannot connect a phone downstream.
Incredidibly chintzy and shortsighted.

The OMB video is not well supported

The Gamester

Gamester's Homepage
http://members.aol.com/wergames
(I am not a commie merely a Trotskyite revisionist)
Old April 21st 04, 11:13 PM
C0mdrData

I have the same computer. I was also surprised about the lack of a phone
port. Easily solvable with a $3.00 phone splitter, but still seems a bit
chintzy on a mid-level computer.
Of course many people today have broadband (including me), but I also
maintain dial-up service as a backup.

Not sure what you mean by the video isn't well supported, but I found it
interesting that the Serene Screen screensaver freezes up on my this
computer with 64 MB shared video, while their is no problem on my daughter's
computer; a 4 year old 350MHz Pentium 2 with a separate (4MB) video card.
The one saving grace is the AGP slot on the mother board, so I suspect I
will eventually upgrade the video. No real rush since I am not a "gamer".

Otherwise the computer has performed flawlessly, and I am most happy with
it. My last computer was a 450MHz, AMD K6-2, NEC. I was very happy with it
for the 4 years I owned it, so I sought out an AMD processor again this time
around.

"The human adventure is just beginning"

Old April 23rd 04, 05:10 PM
Gamester

Of course many people today have broadband (including me), but I also
maintain dial-up service as a backup.

I have AOL for the web space. $8US for 280M with unlimited bandwidth is not too
bad.

Not sure what you mean by the video isn't well supported,

I only play 2 games. Half-Life and Age of Empire. I picked up Age of Mythology
when momsies upgraded last fall. Plays fine on hers. Got the Compaq,
uninstalled AOM and brought it home. Set up fine. Hit the play icon:

This graphics card is no supported by Age of Mythology

Video Card 0: vtdisp.dll VIA/S3G KM400/KN400 Vendor(0x1106) Device(0x7205)

For those not in the know, Age of Mythology is by MicroSoft. If MS does not
support your video card, in my book, it is not well supported.

I'll stress once again that the machine has been performing well. My last comp
had the CDrom replaced within a week of purchase. Win 95/98 OS wundercrap.
Still, I managed with it for almost 6 years of crashes, freezes, BSD etc.
The Gamester

Homepage
http://members.aol.com/wergames
(I'm not a commie merely a Trotskyite revisionist)