Help With Cable Access

Old February 27th 04, 09:15 PM
Von Fourche

Default Help With Cable Access

My local cable company has just started offering cable access to the
internet. I've been waiting for some one to offer high speed for the last
four years.

Anyway, I was just wondering if this is a good deal and worth the money.
They said the first year is around $33.00 a month and then in the second
year it jumps up to $44.00 a month. No contracts. Their site says a line
speed up to 512 KPS
(http://www.rapidcable.com/internet_s...omparison.html).

I really know nothing about high speed access except that I want it
badly.

So, is 512 KPS fast? Would this speed be worth the $33.00 a month and
then $40.00 a month a year later? Right now I pay $22.00 a month for
earthlink. I would be willing to pay the $33 and $40 a month, I just want
to make sure that for the money I'm getting a truly fast connection.

Anyway, how fast is 512 KPS with a cable modem? Would I get good
quality video feed thru this? How fast would I be able to down load a movie
trailer? I know that apple web site offers a choice of downloads, low speed
for dial up, medium speed, and high speed. With this cable modem, would I
be able to choose the high speed?

Also, I don't play many on-line games, but If I wanted to, would this
cable modem allow me to play those games with multiple players online?
Also, I do have an X-Box that I got so I could play sports games over the
internet if and when I ever got high speed access. Do you know if I could
use the X-Box with this cable modem?

And finally, how much slower or faster is this compared to DSL?

Much Thanks!

Old February 27th 04, 10:57 PM
HH

Up to??? 512kbps is slow for cable. When I had Road Runner, I routinely got
1.5 to 3 mbps. I'm getting slightly better than 512K now with Starband
Satellite modem service (No cable or DSL available where I live now).
512K beats the heck out of dialup, tho.

HH

link.net...

Old February 28th 04, 03:19 AM
Kevin Childers

Do a bit of web searching and see what alternatives you might have. The
market is getting tougher and prices have dropped a bit. Earthlink has just
started their test bed for BPL (Broadband over Power Lines). Supposed to
get MBPS (+) speeds at comparable rate$. DSL prices in my are have dropped
to compete with Charter Cable and it's VoIP offering.

KC

"HH" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Attaching the Power LED cable ? General 2 December 24th 04 03:14 AM
Lost my USB bracket cable (P4T-E) Ice D Asus Motherboards 8 September 3rd 04 12:23 PM
No BIOS access, and can't boot normally even with new OS on HD ToolPackinMama Homebuilt PC's 9 April 12th 04 08:40 PM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
No partition data when ATA-100 cable used. DS Homebuilt PC's 5 July 8th 03 08:01 AM