Win XP Pro SP1a kills USB on Presario

Old February 25th 04, 03:17 PM
Steve Wechsler

Default Win XP Pro SP1a kills USB on Presario

Just bought a Presario S6000Z. It came with Win XP home and I upgraded
to Win XP Pro (upgraded myself, not a Compaq upgrade). After the
installation everything was working fine, but when I attempted to
install XP's SP1A using Windows update, USB devices no longer worked
(meaning, they didn't even show up in device manager). Devices I tried
were a CF card reader and a Creative MP3 player. When I uninstalled
the service pack they started working again. Naturally, HP is
unwilling to support me since I didn't buy XP Pro from them.

Any way to get around this mess?

Please answer in group, thanks.

Steve
Old February 26th 04, 10:28 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
Steve Wechsler wrote:
Just bought a Presario S6000Z. It came with Win XP home and I upgraded
to Win XP Pro (upgraded myself, not a Compaq upgrade). After the
installation everything was working fine, but when I attempted to
install XP's SP1A using Windows update, USB devices no longer worked
(meaning, they didn't even show up in device manager). Devices I tried
were a CF card reader and a Creative MP3 player. When I uninstalled
the service pack they started working again. Naturally, HP is
unwilling to support me since I didn't buy XP Pro from them.

Any way to get around this mess?

XP may still be using the "old" drivers for the USB ports. There's a MS
knowledgebase article on this somewhere. Try deleting _all_ the on-board
USB hardware and letting XP re-detect them and install the new drivers.

Old February 27th 04, 05:30 AM
Quaoar

Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Steve Wechsler wrote:
Just bought a Presario S6000Z. It came with Win XP home and I
upgraded to Win XP Pro (upgraded myself, not a Compaq upgrade).
After the installation everything was working fine, but when I
attempted to install XP's SP1A using Windows update, USB devices no
longer worked (meaning, they didn't even show up in device manager).
Devices I tried were a CF card reader and a Creative MP3 player.
When I uninstalled the service pack they started working again.
Naturally, HP is unwilling to support me since I didn't buy XP Pro
from them.

Any way to get around this mess?

XP may still be using the "old" drivers for the USB ports. There's a
MS knowledgebase article on this somewhere. Try deleting _all_ the
on-board USB hardware and letting XP re-detect them and install the
new drivers.

Yes, but do the operation AFTER SP1 is installed.