What is the Best config for SATA and IDE

Old December 2nd 04, 05:52 AM
The Major

Default What is the Best config for SATA and IDE

I have a new XP Pro system that i have installed a 160Gb SATA Seagate HDD
and a 40Gb IDE Maxtor HDD. My question is, with three users what is the best
way to configure the setup of these drives?
Appreciate your help,
Thanks.

Old December 2nd 04, 07:12 AM
kony

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:52:38 +1000, "The Major"
kellyatthemajor.com.au wrote:

I have a new XP Pro system that i have installed a 160Gb SATA Seagate HDD
and a 40Gb IDE Maxtor HDD. My question is, with three users what is the best
way to configure the setup of these drives?
Appreciate your help,
Thanks.

For what (most demanding) use?

For typical PC uses the fastest config would be to partition
the newer 160GB drive off to a fixed size and install WinXP
to that partition (like 10GB or whatever size seems
appropriate to you, even larger if you'll be installing a
lot of games or other very large apps to that partition but
you could install most games/etc to a different partition
instead) .

You might also consider how many partitions you want to deal
with, some people like partitioning as a means of sorting
data and others don't... it does often make backups easier
and helps to keep things on the faster outer portion of the
platter, leaving the slower portion of the drive for less
often accesed data or that which doesn't need higher
performance I/O. Other people might prefer the newer drive
be left for more vital storage, putting windows on the old
40GB drive, though this lower-performance operating sytem
I/O option is bound to be less popular with many
enthusiasts, and some of the later 40GB drives are faster
than earlier 40GB models, it could make a large difference
in deciding what role the 40GB drive is suitable for if
performance tradeoffs are a primary concern.

If you have specific needs per user data areas or backup
strategy you might need consider those as well, though we
can't very well advise without knowing about them.