Windows XP Pro Install Problem

Old January 5th 04, 04:26 AM
O.B.

Default Windows XP Pro Install Problem

Using Windows XP Pro Upgrade (original CD), I get the following error
after the first boot during installation to a clean drive. I've cleaned
the original disk (like it suggested). What else can I do?

SYS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file
"E:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\Windows\COMMON\CONTROLS\CO NTROLS.MAN" on line 4.

Installation Failed E:\I386\asms.
Error message: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

My machine is a:
Dell Dimension XPS R450
384 MB RAM
12 GB Maxtor Quasar hard dive
Intel 440BX AGPset
Pheonix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0: 4S4EBOX1.10A.0035.P13
Old January 5th 04, 05:32 AM
O.B.

That is not the error I'm receiving.

But since I had nothing to lose, I tried the steps recommended on that
page. The drive is formatted NTFS. Regedit.exe is not installed yet.
I used REG.EXE from command line. The key mentioned did not exist, but
the closest thing was:
4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
And only then did "UpperFilters" exist. So I deleted it. Rebooted and
the original problem still exists.

What should I try next?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

"The File 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM Is Needed" Error Message
When You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

Old January 5th 04, 06:40 PM
Andy

I have had that error when either the CD is duff, and once or twice when
then CD-ROM is on it's way out. Perhaps try copying the contents of the cd
to a directory on the hard drive? Or make a backup of the CD and try that?

Old January 5th 04, 11:11 PM
O.B.

Sure enough. The CD is bad. I tried the CD in another computer and it
failed to copy the same file to the local drive. I just bought the CD!
How frustrating.

Can someone please zip up the files located in the following directories
and email them to me?

CD_DRIVE\I386\ASMS\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTRO LS
CD_DRIVE\I386\ASMS\60100\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTR OLS

Thanks in advance,
OB

Old January 6th 04, 05:31 AM
joe_tide

You should also call Microsoft, if the store where you bough it won't
replace it, and tell them the CD is bad. They will more than likely replace
it. You will probably need it again, so you might as well spend the time now
to get what you paid for.