hdd's not configuring??

Old January 25th 04, 04:20 PM

Default hdd's not configuring??

hi guy's

long convoluted story but-

my athlon seems to have suffered recently a fatal crash -

however i also have a dell p4 -0n 98 me- which needs attention as i was
given it with a duff hdd.

so took out master from athlon switched on but i can't seem to get past
this-

"secondary hdd 1 not found f1 continue f2 to run setup"

f1 loops-
"strike f1 to retry reboot f2 for setup utility"
okay i thought fatal crash worse than first thought..

so i tried the 120 maxtor (slave switched to master ) out of the athlon but
it gives a strike f1 and a blue screen occurs

i have just put in a real old 2gb samsung....starts but still get-

"secondary hdd 1 not found f1 continue f2 to run setup"

however-

f1 runs okay and that seems to be working to the point of getting 98'me' so
i upgraded it to xp pro (so all 3 hdd's were alike) and slaved each of the
other 2 hdd's
off it-

they bothwork fine in this set-up and this shows nothing wrong with either
hdd's

re-tried as before but same original problem..it must be a configuration
problem as all hdd's are working..

sorry about it being a tad confusing...imagine how i feel..

any help mucho appreciated

cheers

richard

Old January 25th 04, 05:27 PM
Chris Stolworthy

Ok try hitting F2 to run setup, go in to the setup and check to make sure
that the Hard Drives in the BIOS are set to AUTOdetect, not to a manual
setting. If it is a manual setting and you don't have the autodetect
function, you need to set the correct sectors, clusters, etc for your new
Hard drive.

Hope this helps
-Chris

Old January 25th 04, 05:33 PM

set
primary drive 0 unknown device -hit enter -set to'auto'
primary drive 1 unknown device -hit enter -set to'auto'
secondary device 0 unknown device -hit enter -set to'auto'
secondary device 1 unknown device -hit enter -set to 'auto'
restart-
no difference :-(

note on boot sequence the hdd isn't listed..

cheers

richard

Old January 25th 04, 06:27 PM
Chris Stolworthy

Have you tried resetting the Bios? Or upgrading to the most current
version? Just a thought , someone correct me if I am wrong here. If you
add a second hard drive to the primary channel it is hard drive 1. So when
it says "secondary hdd 1 not found f1 continue f2 to run setup" doesn't it
mean it isn't detecting a hard drive slave, on the secondary channel?

-Chris

Old January 25th 04, 06:36 PM

Have you tried resetting the Bios?

don't know how to..

Or upgrading to the most current
version?

could probably download it but wouldn't know how 'flash it' or whatever..

Just a thought , someone correct me if I am wrong here. If you
add a second hard drive to the primary channel it is hard drive 1. So

when
it says "secondary hdd 1 not found f1 continue f2 to run setup" doesn't

it
mean it isn't detecting a hard drive slave, on the secondary channel?

don't know but as it only ever had one hdd fitted why should it worry about
a secondary..?

cheers

richard

-Chris

Old January 25th 04, 08:18 PM
HaJEEE

this is just a thought, and i dont know whether i am insulting you by saying
it, but you are aware of the master slave jumpers ? What are the motherboard
specs and the HDD sizes / types ? What is ther BIOS version ?

regards,
HJ

" wrote in
message ...

Old January 25th 04, 08:38 PM

hajeee

you cannot possibly insult me ;-)

however i did in fact state -

'so i tried the 120 maxtor (slave switched to master ) out of the
athlon........'

so yes i tried every different configeration..master slave and CS

however i believe it originally came with a 60gb hdd -so i would assume it
was okay

the p.c is a dimension 8100 bios rev A06 not much more than a yr old (it is
a p4 after all..)
1 western digital 80gb -not found won't boot.
2 maxtor 120gb -b.c of d
3 samsung 2.7gb- loads and runs a-okay

with no/3 as master and either 1 or 2 as slave system runs and my computer
'sees' them and acts as it should -ie lets you open drive and runs programs
files etc

however if 1 or 2 is set to master -it fails on start up..

cheers

richard

Old January 26th 04, 02:38 AM
Wayne Morgan

On the WD drive, it uses no jumper as a stand-alone drive and a jumper in
the master position when it is the master in a 2 drive setup. The Maxtor
uses the jumper in the same location for stand-alone or master. You said the
system is a Dimension 8100, which makes it sound as if it is a Dell
computer. I believe that Dell uses Cable Select cables (if you haven't
changed them). If so, setting master and slave may not work. You will have
to set any drives on a CS cable to the CS jumper position.

When you made the BIOS changes to make sure that everything was set for Auto
detect on the hard drives, you did save the changes when you exited? Are
both IDE controllers turned on in the BIOS? Is it the BIOS or Windows that
doesn't see the drives? Are the drives there if you boot to a Dos disk? Are
you sure the cables are good? Try different ribbon cables to see what
happens? Have they come loose from the motherboard? I've seen cables not
work until I pressed on them to make sure they were fully seated into the
motherboard connector. I didn't event notice that they moved when I pressed
on them, but that was the problem.

Are there any partitions on the drives to give you a drive letter? Are they
partitions that your operating system will recognize? If it's just that it
won't boot, was the partition set as Active?

Try the drives one at a time to make sure they all work then try pairing
them up. Sometimes one brand of drive doesn't like working with another
brand on the same controller, although I haven't seen that problem in a few
years.

--
Wayne Morgan

" wrote in
message ...

Old January 26th 04, 08:21 AM

Have you tried running drive 1 or 2 by itself?

yes...

Try either one jumpered
as a single drive vs. master,

yes

on the end of
the cable. Enter bios and auto-detect drives.

yes...

cheers

richard