Asus P4P800-VM and Linux

Old December 8th 03, 11:09 PM
Janus Sandsgaard

Default Asus P4P800-VM and Linux

I am buying a new PC, which is going to run Linux (Mandrake 9.2). The
machine is equiped with this motherboards:

ASUS P4P800-VM, vga/audio/lan/SATA, uATX
with Intel i865G chipset and "Intel Extreme Graphics.
http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-vm/overview.htm

- Does anyone has experience in using it with Linux?
- Does it work 100% ("out of the box") with Linux?

I am especially concerned about the build-in lan, audio og graphics.
One things is if it works. Another thing is if perform well with Linux
(or do I risk bad performance in disk-access etc)?

Mandrake says the i865G chipset works when it comes to graphics

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/features.php3#14

, but what about the rest of the features of the motherboard?

-j

--
http://janus.dk
Old December 9th 03, 05:46 AM
Paul

In article , Janus Sandsgaard
wrote:

I am buying a new PC, which is going to run Linux (Mandrake 9.2). The
machine is equiped with this motherboards:

ASUS P4P800-VM, vga/audio/lan/SATA, uATX
with Intel i865G chipset and "Intel Extreme Graphics.
http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-vm/overview.htm

- Does anyone has experience in using it with Linux?
- Does it work 100% ("out of the box") with Linux?

I am especially concerned about the build-in lan, audio og graphics.
One things is if it works. Another thing is if perform well with Linux
(or do I risk bad performance in disk-access etc)?

Mandrake says the i865G chipset works when it comes to graphics

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/features.php3#14

, but what about the rest of the features of the motherboard?

-j

--
http://janus.dk

Having just taken delivery of a computer with the 865G (which I am
giving as a gift), I can tell you the built-in graphics on the 865G
sucks. An MX440 would give you better scores than the "Extreme Graphics"
of the Intel Northbridge. I set up 3DMark2001SE on the machine and
got 2400 or so. The 865G couldn't even support the entire feature set
of DX8, and a couple of the tests in 3DMark2001 wouldn't run. As your
prospective motherboard has an AGP slot, you can place a decent graphics
card in it, and fix this. The computer I've got here has no AGP slot,
so the built-in graphics are all it can use - fortunately this is
not intended as a games machine...

Paul