Ebuyer - Price Bloat and / or Creep

Old October 26th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
News Reader

Default Ebuyer - Price Bloat and / or Creep

Hi,

It seems to me that eBuyer are increasingly bloating their prices and
allowing price creep on many items.

What do you think?

They used to seem like pretty much the benchmark of competitive prices
before they were taken over - I think profit optimisation might be the new
owners strategy?

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old October 26th 06, 12:22 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
peter

News Reader wrote:
Hi,

It seems to me that eBuyer are increasingly bloating their prices and
allowing price creep on many items.

What do you think?

They used to seem like pretty much the benchmark of competitive prices
before they were taken over - I think profit optimisation might be the new
owners strategy?

Does Ebuyer have new owners? Or are you confusing them with Dabs, who
are now owned by BT I believe.
And yes, some of their prices do seem to be going steadily up, but if
you're buying a lot of gear they still average out cheapest overall I
find. To make any profit at all in the business they're in is a
challenge, margins on most computer components are miniscule.

Old October 26th 06, 01:00 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Andrew

"News Reader" wrote in message

Hi,

It seems to me that eBuyer are increasingly bloating their prices and
allowing price creep on many items.

What do you think?

They used to seem like pretty much the benchmark of competitive prices
before they were taken over - I think profit optimisation might be the new
owners strategy?

Best wishes,

prices always go up this time of year. certainly not bloating. still
look like the cheapest vendor to order from to me

Old October 26th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Alan Smith

peter wrote:
snip

Does Ebuyer have new owners?

snip some more

Yes it does, well not particularly new, they were bought by Malcolm
Healey of Hygena, MFI & Meadowhell fame in April 2004. Hence the move
out of Sheffield to his native East Yorkshire & the decimation of all
the staff to be replaced by Polish immigrants. Not that I'm bitter &
twisted about this fact.

Old October 26th 06, 11:57 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Gully Foyle

On 26 Oct 2006 04:22:43 -0700, "peter" wrote:

News Reader wrote:
Hi,

It seems to me that eBuyer are increasingly bloating their prices and
allowing price creep on many items.

What do you think?

They used to seem like pretty much the benchmark of competitive prices
before they were taken over - I think profit optimisation might be the new
owners strategy?

Does Ebuyer have new owners? Or are you confusing them with Dabs, who
are now owned by BT I believe.
And yes, some of their prices do seem to be going steadily up, but if
you're buying a lot of gear they still average out cheapest overall I
find. To make any profit at all in the business they're in is a
challenge, margins on most computer components are miniscule.

Well, I have just ordered an upgrade for my PC (Core2Duo, Mobo, Ram
and HDD) and Dabs came out a little over £30 cheaper than Ebuyer for
the identical components. Normally I find that Dabs and Ebuyer are
almost the same price - maybe the OP has a point.

--
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
Old October 27th 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
News Reader

"News Reader" wrote in message

Hi,

It seems to me that eBuyer are increasingly bloating their prices and
allowing price creep on many items.

What do you think?

SNIP

Thanks for your posts.

As for time of the year - I am talking about having watched the prices over
a period of a few years (as another posted mentioned approx. since their
take over in early 2004) - hence I don't believe this to be just seasonal -
unless it is a special kind of time of year pricing which I don't understand
where in spring, summer, autumn and winter the prices rise .

As another poster said - their DABS total order came out a worthwhile amount
less than eBuyer. Furthermore, an increasing number of newer or smaller
operators are seeming increasingly worthwhile - a search via the likes of
froogle shows a significant number of what seem like reasonable operators or
even better still possibly "good" operators (which I am perhaps a little
hesitant to include eBuyer in - nothing against them - but their customer
service can sometimes want) with quite significantly lower prices.

Just a thought.... struck me as a change of direction for eBuyer - they used
to amaze me - pretty much every time - with prices so near the floor it was
largely hysterical! But that amazement, fascination, admiration and
amusement has been waning as the prices of existing stock (over a period of
many months) seems to have been inexorably rising (in comparison to their
own former prices and / or their competitors) and new stock lines appear to
be at markedly less impressive prices than they used to be.

That's all - just a thought that eBuyer appears to be a different creature
in some way now than it was before - and perhaps it is its most marked and
characteristic feature that appears to be the one changing - its ultra-low
price focus, etc.

Best wishes,

News Reader

P.s. Seems a little more amusing and ironic if the other persons post about
their relocation and line in international staffing is correct - not only
upping the prices on one end (our end) but cutting their costs as well on
their end with lower staff costs! - wooo ! lol - take and take from both
ends to eeekkk out that extra $ (definitely doesn't sound quite like the old
eBuyer - hey what do I know / I am probably wrong / joking!)... It's all
good.

Old October 28th 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
linker3000

News Reader wrote:
Hi,

It seems to me that eBuyer are increasingly bloating their prices and
allowing price creep on many items.

What do you think?

They used to seem like pretty much the benchmark of competitive prices
before they were taken over - I think profit optimisation might be the new
owners strategy?

Best wishes,

News Reader

Agreed,

Noticed this the other day with a range of items - eBuyer were not as
competitive as they used to be.
Old October 29th 06, 07:24 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Stan

"Donald Lancaster" wrote in message
.uk...

Time of the year.

Yes, time of year.... Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat,
please put a penny in the old man's hat.

Stan

Old November 6th 06, 04:20 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
David Atherton

"News Reader" wrote in message

Hi,

It seems to me that eBuyer are increasingly bloating their prices and
allowing price creep on many items.

What do you think?

They used to seem like pretty much the benchmark of competitive prices
before they were taken over - I think profit optimisation might be the new
owners strategy?

Best wishes,

News Reader

Ownership not changed for 2-3 years. Pricing reflects a. stock position
taken, b. manufacturer
strategy. Profit optimisation is everyone's strategy. The only differences
are grow fast - take minimal
profits or grow slow - take normal profit now. Owner managed firms do first,
external ownership
firms tend to second.