Canon Pixma iP3000 & iP4000 - Differences..?

Old September 15th 04, 12:55 AM
Stroller

Default Canon Pixma iP3000 & iP4000 - Differences..?

Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
while. I'll probably get one for myself, test it on the Vigor's USB
port & recommend it for use on that setup if it works.

The only differences I can see between the iP3000 & iP4000 are that the
iP4000 has the parallel port & 5-ink cartridges. Are there any others
I've missed..? I've never had an inkjet before, so I don't know that
I'll notice any quality differences. Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
likely to be (much) more expensive..?

I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is
FUBAR, but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?

TIA for all advices,

Stroller.

Old September 15th 04, 01:33 AM
colinco

In article Stroller says...
Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
likely to be (much) more expensive..?

The ip4000 uses the same 4 carts as the 3000 plus an extra photo black.

I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is

FUBAR,

Epson

but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?

HP printhead on cart. Canon replaceable printhead.
Old September 15th 04, 03:57 AM
aprestn5

Stroller wrote:

[...]

Going by the Canon features & specifications sheets distributed to dealers
recently, the iP4000 is also supposed to be slightly faster (25 ppm
black/17 ppm colour) than the iP3000 (22 ppm/15ppm). Other than that, the
specs are much the same . The 1P3000's print head has a 1600 nozzle print
head while the iP4000 has 1856 nozzles (both 1200 dpi spacing). As you
noted, the iP4000 also has the "photo black" dye cartridge in addition to
the black pigment and cyan, yellow and magenta dye cartridges.

I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
(though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand picked
to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
tempted to consider buying one...

Al Preston

Old September 15th 04, 09:49 AM
Stroller

aprestn5 wrote in message news:dcO1d.20774$KU5.17685@edtnps89...
Stroller wrote:

Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
while....

...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
(though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand picked
to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
tempted to consider buying one...

Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?

TIA,

Stroller.
Old September 15th 04, 12:10 PM
colinco

In article Martin Trautmann says...
Yes - if you have more colors, you need extra nozzles for it, too:

1 color (mycb): 256 nozzles each
1 black: 832 nozzles!?

colours don't all have same number of nozzles
"Nozzle Text: Black: 320, Color: 512 x 2 (C, M), 256 x 2 (Y, Bk) Total
Nozzles: 1856"
Old September 16th 04, 12:13 AM
Douglas

It is because they are made by Canon I WOULD buy one! I have printers by all
the major players,an would buy Canon over any of them,in most cases!I read
your last post and was just set to tell you to buy the ip3000!
"Stroller" wrote in message
m...

Old September 16th 04, 02:37 AM
PC Medic

Stroller wrote:

[...]

I have seen just general prints (not hand picked) and they are *very* good!
Least expensive ink costs, good quality product, great warranty (next day
replacement), why would you not pick Canon

Old September 16th 04, 06:12 AM
aprestn5

Stroller wrote:

aprestn5 wrote in message

...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite
good, (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
I'd be tempted to consider buying one...

Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?
TIA,

Stroller.

I didn't say -you- shouldn't consider one, just that _I_ wouldn't. My
concern with Canon is their limited driver availability; Canon provides
drivers only for Windows and Mac, and third party drivers for their
printers that I've come across tend not to support newer features.
Other brands fare much better in this regard.

Al

Old September 16th 04, 06:31 AM
aprestn5

PC Medic wrote:

"aprestn5" wrote in message

I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
(though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
I'd be tempted to consider buying one...

I have seen just general prints (not hand picked) and they are *very*
good! Least expensive ink costs, good quality product, great warranty
(next day replacement), why would you not pick Canon

They don't supply drivers for my OS, nor do they support development of
third party drivers. One or the other of those (or both) are available for
most other brands, particularly HP, Epson and, to some extent, Lexmark. If
Canon drivers were to become available, I would then consider buying one.

Al
Old September 16th 04, 08:59 AM
Stroller

On 2004-09-16 06:12:25 +0100, aprestn5 said:

Stroller wrote:

aprestn5 wrote in message

...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite
good, (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
I'd be tempted to consider buying one...

Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?
TIA,

Stroller.

I didn't say -you- shouldn't consider one, just that _I_ wouldn't. My
concern with Canon is their limited driver availability; Canon provides
drivers only for Windows and Mac, and third party drivers for their
printers that I've come across tend not to support newer features.
Other brands fare much better in this regard.

Cool. I don't print from Linux, but I have a networked postscript HP
LJ4 should I ever wish to do so. I've experienced the Global Macintosh
Driver Shortage in the past, so was rather pleased to see that Canon
covered these printers in that regard. I'll order one of these today.

Stroller.