Intel Pentium D 940

Old June 14th 06, 05:21 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Default Intel Pentium D 940

Hi,

I got myself the Pentium D 940 CPU and I have an Intel D975XBX
mainboard. I notice that in the BIOS it reports that there is 2048 L2
Cache and not 2x2048 as per the CPU. I even flashed the BIOS to the
latest on Intel's website. Is this correct and if not, how do I fix it?

More details below on my system:

====== Board ======
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Product Name D975XBX
Version AAD27094-303
Serial Number BQBX60800563
BIOS Version BX97510J.86A.1181.2006.0526.1131
BIOS ROM Size 512 KB
BIOS Release Date 2006/05/26

====== Processor ======
Manufacturer Intel(R) Corporation
Processor Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
External Clock 200 MHz
Bus Speed 800 MHz
Processor Speed 3.2 GHz
Stepping 2
Form Factor Other
Hyper-Threading Status Enabled

====== Cache ======
L1 Cache Data Cache 16 KB, Execution Trace Cache 12 K
Micro-ops
L2 Cache Advanced Transfer Cache 2048 KB

When I run the Intel CPU identification utility, it detects it
correctly, stating that it has 2mb cache per core. Even in "Intel
Desktop Utilities" it reports the L2 Cache as 2048 as seen above.

When running 3dmark05 on my old chip (Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU
3.20GHz) I get a score of 3791 3DMarks. With the new CPU I get 3881
3DMarks. Can it be that there is such a slight performance difference
between the two?