hard disk

Old May 29th 04, 11:22 AM

Default hard disk

hi
does anybody knows of a solution like a external HD 80 GB or something ,
that will be able to connect to 2 computers at the same time by USB or
Firewire , and both computers will see that drive ?

thks

Old May 29th 04, 12:17 PM
Jerry G.

You must use 2 computers on a network that are set up to share the drive.
You can have multiple drives in a computer that is on the network using a
router, and this can act as a server. The drives must be set up to share.

--

Jerry G.
=====

Old May 30th 04, 01:40 AM
kony

On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:22:09 +0100, rmachado wrote:

hi
does anybody knows of a solution like a external HD 80 GB or something ,
that will be able to connect to 2 computers at the same time by USB or
Firewire , and both computers will see that drive ?

thks

You need make determinations of things like size of enclosure, cost, and
evaluate the real need for this drive to be external.

The closest to what you suggest would be taking a flexATX motherboard,
mounted in a minimally size chassis, with the drive, then using the two
USB ports to network that to both PCs. However, it would be faster to
just use network ports to attach to a hub or switch.

More polished would be a network attached storage box. Not USB, and much
more expensive.

The cheapest and easiest would be what Jerry suggested, use typical USB
drive enclosure and share the drive over a LAN, just a crossover cable
between two network adapters if you're sure you don't need any further
networking ability.
Old May 30th 04, 06:02 AM
DaveinOlyWa

get a hub for $20. then install the drive in one computer and share
it. I have 4 computers hooked up and I can access all the windows
drives (win 98, 2000 and XP home) with any computer. and my linux
box can access everything. that is a total of 13 drives.

==============
Old May 30th 04, 04:17 PM

hi
thks for all the replays

but ....the porpuse of this is to simulate a cluster , for testing cluster
services .

i would like to create a environment with 1 external disk and 2 workstations
so i can do tests and the help desk can give support to our clients that
have clusters.

getting a SAN is out of the question ( $$$ ) so ... i heard that there are
some external HD that have 2 firewire or usb plugs , making it possible for
2 workstations to see it as Local Disks .

if anybody knows ...give names or partnumbers .

thks again

rmachado

"DaveinOlyWa" wrote in message
get a hub for $20. then install the drive in one computer and share
it. I have 4 computers hooked up and I can access all the windows
drives (win 98, 2000 and XP home) with any computer. and my linux
box can access everything. that is a total of 13 drives.

Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware

troubleshooting newsgroups.

RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Strange files saved the hard disk SunMyoung Yoon General 1 January 3rd 04 04:44 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM
Partitioning a hard disk James D General 4 September 4th 03 05:12 AM