Parhelia Drivers

Old August 2nd 03, 11:12 AM
Dan

Default Parhelia Drivers

Thanks for letting me know. I don't think I have the newest drivers
installed and everything has been running just fine. I think I will leave
it well enough alone if there are no speed or other big enhancements to be
gained.

You mentioned bug fixes but I have not found any bugs yet, probably its
because I am only using it for 2D work and my motherboard must be one of the
ones its happy with.

--

Dan

http://www.fast-trak.net
http://www.design.fast-trak.net
http://www.training.fast-trak.net
http://www.hosting.fast-trak.net

"Arthur Hagen" wrote in message

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
Am I better to install the latest drivers or stick with what came with

the
card?

The reason I ask is I remember someone saying the new ones actualy made

the
card perfom slower.

According to all tests I've run, the drivers I had back in March were the
fastest. The latest two versions of drivers will speed up a couple of
things, but slow down almost everything else, mostly by disabling fast
writes. In 3DMark2001, I get around 5% lower scores with the latest
drivers, even if some things are speeded up.

Contrary to what some people say, you can't turn fast writes back on again
by registry entries -- sure, the registry entries are there, but that
doesn't help when the drivers have the functions turned OFF. Run speed
tests and you'll see that there's no advantage to changing the registry
settings (a slight disadvantage if anything), but there is a speed benefit
to installing the old drivers with fast write support. The reason for the
removal of fast write support seems to be problems with certain

motherboards
and card combinations. Too bad, especially since I have a motherboard

with
NO problems.

However, there are quite a number of bug fixes in the new drivers too,

which
is why I still use them. If you want the new drivers, don't install the
ones from the "newest drivers" -- they're older, buggier and slower than

the
ones you find under "certified drivers". Both have fast writes disabled,
though...

Regards,
--
*Art