Who makes IOGear?

Old February 4th 04, 05:34 AM
Analog Kid

Default Who makes IOGear?

Does anyone know who IOGear uses to manufacture their products? Their USB
stuff, in particular.

Old February 4th 04, 07:05 PM
George

Does it really matter who the CM is? Some of the big ones are Solectron,
Celestica, Jabil, SCI...

Old February 4th 04, 07:32 PM
*Vanguard*

"Analog Kid" said in :
Does anyone know who IOGear uses to manufacture their products? Their
USB stuff, in particular.

At http://www.iogear.com/info/?PHPSESSI...d6abfc1c5b511e,
they claim to be the manufacturer, as per their statement, "As one of the
only true manufacturers in the industry, IOGEAR has the ability to offer
high quality products with the service and support hardware consumers
demand." Supposedly "true manufacturer" means they actually build the
product rather than repackage and resell it. As far as where they get the
components they use to build their products, well, that depends on whomever
their purchasing agents find that is selling the cheapest at the time that
claims to meet IOgear's specifications. However, IOgear may also contract
with another manufacturer to make products based on IOgear's specifications.
I remember getting a Radio Shack tape deck that when opened said it was a
Teac brand; Radio Shack contracted with the same manufacturing plant as Teac
to produce the tape deck (but Radio Shack's specifications were actually
better so it was like getting a tweaked Teac).

It doesn't sound like they are like Hi-Val which resells brand-name products
but under the Hi-Val name at a discount. I remember getting a Hi-Val CD-ROM
drive and found it was just a more simply packaged Creative CD-ROM drive.
Have you gotten any IOgear stuff that had a different brand on it, or opened
it up to see if a major brand (and not a component vendor) was mentioned
anywhere inside? Even if IOgear is contracting someone else to make their
products, their products still much meet whatever specifications were
established by IOgear, so if their products are crappy then it is IOgear's
fault. The contracted manufacturer only built what it was paid to build.

If you're trying to find out if a particular product from IOgear is good or
crappy then specifically ask about that product so other prior or current
users of that product can give you their opinion of it. Or are you maybe
trying to find out who IOgear might be contracting with to perhaps
externally manufacturer some of IOgear's products and want to see if you can
edge them out by offering a better deal to IOgear? Why do you care who
actually pieces together the products sold by IOgear? It's IOgear that
establishes the quality of what they sell so if you have any beefs with
their products then you take it up with them, not with whomever did the
actual manufacture. If I have a problem with an Adaptec, SIIG, or Promise
card, I contact them and not whomever they had make the product. If the
quality of their product sucks, it's their fault and not necessarily of
whomever they contracted to manufacture the product who just obeys the
contract to produce what they were told and paid to produce.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***