Sempron 2800+ ABIT AN7 for budget 'organ transplant'?

Old September 11th 04, 11:18 PM

Default Sempron 2800+ ABIT AN7 for budget 'organ transplant'?

Hi, some background. I've never changed a mobo, just cards, RAM, HDs… I
need a new HD, but my mobo is so old: SDRAM, Duron, ATA 66, pre-137GB
BIOS, & probable incompatibilities if I mix new with old. This led me to
think that a new "Combo CPU + Mother board" from Fry's looks the best
deal. Also, the ~160 GB ATA133 HD looks best deal (SATA still possible
in future with most mobos). And, PC3200 or 2700.

Fry's lowest priced combo is $60 for Sempron 2400+ ECS K7VTA3 Version
8.0c. But Usenet posts warn me off ECS or that board. So, REJECT. :-)

Next good deal is Sempron 2800+ ABIT AN7 nForce2 Ultra 400 Socket A
266/333/400 MHz FSB $90-100.
Jul 2004 Usenet posts.. implied AN7 was too new. But, I figure now, Sep
04, AN7 is 'mature'.

Any comments, cautions?
Do I have to be anymore paranoid about grounding than I do when
changing RAM? (I stay put when messing with the innards, but don't have
any ground strap for wrist or bodypart, though I could rig wire out
window to house's ground rod)

It's just a basic home use computer. Net, word processing, some basic
still image work. Port/connections used are only Ethernet, USB,
Parallel.
Old September 12th 04, 09:27 AM
BigBadger

wrote in message
[...]

The AN7 is ok but a far better CPU would be a Athlon XP2500+. It is cheaper
than the Sempron has at least equal performance and MUCH better
overclockability.

Old September 12th 04, 07:54 PM
- HAL9000

Its not necessary that anything is earth grounded. It is only
necessary to prevent any sparks to the mobo and such. By sparks I
mean the type you get when touching a wall switch in the winter. FYI,
it takes about a 3,000+ volt spark for you to even feel it on your
skin. Smaller 2,000 volt sparks can damage components without you
realizing it.

The method I use is to *first* touch and hold the side of the case
(exposed metal) with one hand while working with the other hand. In
this way the spark doesn't reach the components. When I need both
hands then I lay one arm against the side of the case while working.
A spark between you and the case is not a problem. A spark between
you and the mobo or chip is to be avoided at all costs.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

snip

Old September 13th 04, 02:10 AM

- HAL9000 in news:r869k0lm37bamc1oiere2tonri1ju93qkb@
4ax.com:

Its not necessary that anything is earth grounded. It is only
necessary to prevent any sparks to the mobo and such.

erk, right. i forgot. strap goes to teh *frame's* ground

going to house ground is especially useless since i'd have unplugged teh
case from the house's ground, so teh computer's ground wouln'dt be tied
to house ground anymore. (/smack my own head)

By sparks I
mean the type you get when touching a wall switch in the winter. FYI,
it takes about a 3,000+ volt spark for you to even feel it on your
skin. Smaller 2,000 volt sparks can damage components without you
realizing it.

yeah, think i've read it's the really low current (with hi volts)...
we can't feel those.

The method I use is to *first* touch and hold the side of the case
(exposed metal) with one hand while working with the other hand. In
this way the spark doesn't reach the components. When I need both
hands then I lay one arm against the side of the case while working.
A spark between you and the case is not a problem. A spark between
you and the mobo or chip is to be avoided at all costs.

Forrest

i touch unpainted metal on box, often, and avoid moving around

-------
Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

hmm... i looked at teh toms hardware PS link.. my PS is sparkle 300w
that replaced a 250w cheapo that burnt.. (cheapo mfr PS came in the
local shop's computer that i bought) I tend to do little else while
burning CDs, so i guess i havn'et overloaded the 300w. (btw, the 250w
burnt BEFORE i put in the cdrw )
Old September 13th 04, 02:13 AM

ocing?
I'm a noob's noob :_)

I'M not planning to oc, especially since the atmosphere gets hot around
where I live. and I've read that Oc-ers resort to use cooling systems to
allow higher oc. But i'm trying to 'K.I.S.S'

oc-ing is interesting, tho. kind of like race-tested auto design or like
street nitro?

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_9509_blow/

-----------
Side note:

I see most Usenet posts in the last year about nForce2 Ultra involve
linux.kernel ...

Side note
---
outpost
http://shop1.outpost.com/search?sear...page=0&sqxts=1
&order_by=s00d&query_string=++Abit++&minprice=&max price=100&x=1&y=7

info is better than Abit's!
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=158
Old September 13th 04, 04:33 AM

"BigBadger" in
:

The AN7 is ok but a far better CPU would be a Athlon XP2500+. It is
cheaper than the Sempron has at least equal performance and MUCH
better overclockability.

I'm glad to read your suggestion.
I'd looked at
http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2170
benchmark tests of a Sempron, an XP and two AMD 64s. most of the tests
that seemed critical to my uses showed the semp usually as good as the
xp (and about as good as the 64's). But now I see they compared a slow
Xp2200 to the socket 754 Sempron 3100.

And
http://hardware.mcse.ms/message50395.html
"And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166)."

aha...

of course CPUs can't be tested without involving effects of OS, chosen
benchmarks, chipsets, boards, etc.

also, mine is a budget machine, I want to keep costs low. Because there
are zillions of options that change everyday, i have to begin my
research with total costs of locally available bits. I could call local
independent shops tomorrow, to see what AN7 + an Athlon XP2500+ (or
other cpu+mobo) would cost