for a laugh

Old April 20th 09, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rizzo

Default for a laugh

ok, so I am lame for buying a dell pc, but where else can you get a quad 8200, 8gb ram, and a 500 gb drive for under $600. i just cannot build a basic machine with separate components.

anyways, i just wanted to know what type of mobo i was getting and here is the transcript of a recent talk with a dell online chat support person.

just too funny!!!!

yluno
Initial Question/Comment:
7:41:18 PM System System
You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
7:41:18 PM System System
Connected with BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
7:41:23 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
Hi Jeff. Welcome to Dell's XPS Sales Chat! I hope you are doing well and thank you for waiting. My name is Mark and I will be your personal sales agent today. Feel free to email me at
or leave me a message at 1800-379-3355 ext. 2160085, from 8AM CST – 12 CST. Please provide your e-mail address and phone number where I can contact you in case we get disconnected. To better serve you, Dell now offers Secure Payment via Chat for our chat customers! How may I help you with your purchase today?
7:41:26 PM Customer jeff nyluno
evening,
7:41:55 PM Customer jeff nyluno
i am ordering a desktop and wondered what are the raid options for this machine:Studio Desktop
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB),
7:42:46 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
Can you give me the link instead to make sure we are on the same page please?
7:42:47 PM Customer jeff nyluno
more specifically, does the motherboard support sata raid?
7:43:10 PM Customer jeff nyluno
https://ecomm2.dell.com/dellstore/ba...0-3c266da175b4
7:44:32 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
okay, this seems to be the link in your cart. Can you click back until you are on the page of the configuring stage?
7:45:43 PM Customer jeff nyluno
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=DDCWMB3&s=dhs
7:46:36 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
Thank you.
7:46:38 PM Customer jeff nyluno
maybe it would help if you could provide me with the details of the motherboard itself. that is the hardest thing to find on dell's site
7:47:36 PM Customer jeff nyluno
it is usually an intel mobo and i could investigate through their site
7:48:00 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
We do not carry infromation on that since we use different types for each configuration and there is too many to track it, but I see here there is no option for a raid configuration.
7:50:19 PM Customer jeff nyluno
no,no, no. when buying a pc, a person should absolutely be able to ascertain exactly what type of motherboard one is buying. 645, 945, etc....
7:51:09 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
I understand, let me check what info we can give on this instead.
7:51:42 PM Customer jeff nyluno
who do i need to talk to for technical info related to motherboards being sold in certain desktops
7:52:44 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
you can try calling the tech support department or customer service for that information, checked on it as well and we do not have that information available.
7:56:01 PM Customer jeff nyluno
calling into phone support is pretty much worthless. this type of question should be fairly straightforward and this info should be readily available. for my configured system, would you then provide me with the mobo model number?
7:56:08 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
I can see that you are typing I will wait.
7:58:43 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
I already have checked on it Jeff no information is available on that model or part number.
8:01:53 PM Customer jeff nyluno
ok, let's try this. ask one other person around to see if they have any idea what type of motherboard dell is installing in the computers. i have bought over 20 dells for fellow coworkers in this past year alone. i have several myself. i have always been able to get the mobo specs some way or the other. i would like to know what they are putting in the newest ones. the mobo would have to accomodate the latest quad processors.
8:02:32 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
Okay, please give me 2 minutes.
8:02:57 PM Customer jeff nyluno
great, thank you
8:07:54 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
Thank you for waiting.
8:08:29 PM Customer jeff nyluno
no problem, i appreciate the extra effort
8:10:31 PM Agent BE_XPS_Rep_Mark
I have verified this from my manager and found out that the mother boards are Dell manufactured as well so it will be the same as all other models. It is capable of a quad core processor as well, the raid configuration is possible as well however it will be software based only.
8:13:53 PM Customer jeff nyluno
tell your manager he is full of it. the mobos are made directly by Intel and then just tweaked by dell for sale. dell does not make these motherboards. thanks for your time and have that manager fired.