PC Power Problem???

Old April 14th 09, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gre0145

Default PC Power Problem???

A friend has an old PC running 98SE. It will power up but after 1/2 an
hour to 1 hour it will die and not turn on. If you let it sit for
another 1/2 hour it will power up and repeat the process. Power Supply
or CPU/Motherboard? All fans are working and I have blown all the dust
out of the tower. Thoughts?
Old April 14th 09, 01:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sharif

Assuming that you have access to some suitable hardware, I would try to
replace some hardware items one at a time. After trying each item put the
original back and try the next in this order
1. Power supply (Most likely) you could also reduce the load on the PS by
unplugging CD drives floppies etc just keep the bare essentials i.e Hdd and
video
2. try a different Harddrive in the suspect machine. You could also try that
Hdd in another machine but be aware if you go that way you my stuff up the
installed drivers
3 disconnect one fan at a time and see if system goes down quicker, although
if there is overheating you should get some warning beeps. Make sure you
have a speaker plugged in to the motherboard most old towers/mbs had one

good luck

Old April 14th 09, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Gre0145 wrote:
A friend has an old PC running 98SE. It will power up but after 1/2 an
hour to 1 hour it will die and not turn on. If you let it sit for
another 1/2 hour it will power up and repeat the process. Power Supply
or CPU/Motherboard? All fans are working and I have blown all the dust
out of the tower. Thoughts?

Power supplies do like to fail (I've got a couple dead ones here).

If you post a bit more detail, like computer make and complete
model number, that may make it easier for someone to make
some suggestions.

If the fans are working, and the CPU heatsink hasn't fallen
off the motherboard, that makes the power supply a more likely culprit.

Paul
Old April 18th 09, 11:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

"Gre0145" wrote in message
A friend has an old PC running 98SE. It will power up but after 1/2 an
hour to 1 hour it will die and not turn on. If you let it sit for
another 1/2 hour it will power up and repeat the process. Power Supply
or CPU/Motherboard? All fans are working and I have blown all the dust
out of the tower. Thoughts?

..... could just be overheating.
Try cleaning the CPU heatsink, with a brush, or with compressed air.

Old April 19th 09, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

123Jim wrote:
"Gre0145" wrote in message

A friend has an old PC running 98SE. It will power up but after
1/2 an hour to 1 hour it will die and not turn on. If you let it
sit for another 1/2 hour it will power up and repeat the process.
Power Supply or CPU/Motherboard? All fans are working and I have
blown all the dust out of the tower. Thoughts?

.... could just be overheating.
Try cleaning the CPU heatsink, with a brush, or with compressed air.

Check for bad or leaking capacitors

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

NO BOOT--NO POWER--POWER SUPPLY NOT THE PROBLEM! byu_t Homebuilt PC's 5 May 24th 05 07:57 PM
Power supply problem or hard drive problem??? chairchair General 4 April 28th 05 02:16 AM
KG7-RAID or Power Supply Problem, computer shuts down few second after power up. Please Help! B General Hardware 0 January 22nd 04 01:46 AM
Power problem Von Heler General 1 August 17th 03 08:33 PM
chassis power switch problem or fuse in power supply? Conor Homebuilt PC's 1 July 16th 03 01:14 AM