"Alpha Serial Numbers" An example of Gateway incompetence and indifference.

Old February 18th 04, 01:07 AM
IMD

Default "Alpha Serial Numbers" An example of Gateway incompetence and indifference.

"Alpha Serial Numbers" An example of Gateway incompetence and indifference.

I received my Gateway Profile more than a month ago. It had a 10 digit
serial number preceded by an "s". I discovered very quickly that, with or
without the "s", Gateway's tech support web site didn't recognize it (nor my
telephone number or order number) and I couldn't get into the premium
support site I paid for.

A series of telephone calls and emails to and from Customer Service told me
that they had contacted the appropriate department (IT) and the problem
would be fixed in 3, 5, 7, 10, 14 days (take your pick). I was even called
back by a CS supervisor who said the problem was handled.

It turned out that IT never answered CS' communications; the CS people had
absolutely no idea what was happening and they were sending out their normal
knee jerk responses that included "we really value you as a customer" etc.

I finally reached Executive Response, only to find out that Gateway had sold
several thousand of these "alpha" serial number computers. However, IT has
no way to log these numbers and related customer information into the
company customer data base. They are studying the issue and it may be
months before they get a solution. Interestingly, the were quite willing
and happy to take back the entire computer for a refund within the 15 day
return period (there were many people qualified to do this) but they had no
way to get some serial numbers into their data base.

Meanwhile, those of us with "alpha" serial number are in Gateway limbo. Our
computers still aren't recognized by their web site and a call to premium
service gets shunted to an endless hold to wait for someone to verify our
credentials.

Gateways response to the issue has been complete indifference and a major
disappointment. No contact from my salesman. Nothing unsolicited from CS.
No web site url for those with "alpha" serial numbers and no alternative
telephone choice for our premium service. Just.we're working on it and we
value our customers.

This company usually makes good products. When everything works, it is
fine. When there is a glitch like the "alpha" serial numbers, everything
falls apart.

Any thoughts.post here and email me.

Thank you.

Old February 18th 04, 01:56 AM
Jupiter Jones

The 10 digit number sounds like the serial number of the chassis.
Do you see the eight digit serial number on the computer?
The 8 digit serial number will also be on your invoice as well as
other paperwork.

--
Jupiter Jones
Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.

. ..

Old February 18th 04, 04:07 AM
IMD

Don't you think I have been through this many, many times with Gateway?
Your suggestion about more than one number or the wrong number, while
perhaps well meaning, is very typical of Gateway misinformation in which
the customer appear at fault so that people reading about it are confused
about the issue.

To be clear and in very short sentences.

There is ONE serial number. It is 10 numbers. It starts with an "s". It is
on the invoice. It is the number that comes up when you ask the computer to
find your serial number (without the "s"). The serial number is not
recognized the web site. Neither is my order number or telephone number.
The serial number not recognized by priority service. Gateway reluctantly
agrees that there is a problem. There may be several thousand people in the
same situation. At this point, they have no idea how to fix that problem.
They have made no effort to provide alternative URL or priority service
access.

OK?

"Jupiter Jones" wrote in message
The 10 digit number sounds like the serial number of the chassis.
Do you see the eight digit serial number on the computer?
The 8 digit serial number will also be on your invoice as well as
other paperwork.

--
Jupiter Jones
Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

. ..

Old February 24th 05, 06:21 AM
Jan & Vic

Amazing isn't it? My system has 3 letters and 10 digits for a serial number.
It gives the Techs fits when I write, and took me over an hour to find out
the 3 letters counted as part of the serial number, spaces and dashes were
not needed. If you don't have a serial number that their stupid form
accepts, then you don't get to talk to a tech. They told me it was because
I bought it from The Micro Center store. It is Gateway's serial number, too
bad thay can't recognize it. They have never assigned me an incedent number
and I suspect that they they can't. I hate filling the customer support
form with the same information over and over again.

Last time I was stuck in a loop for 30 minutes. They supplied my serial
number in their form, then would not accept it saying that both the serial
number and account number were filled. There was no account number and if I
cleared the serial number it would not accept it saying that niether field
was filled.

You would think that they have never sold or supported any systems before.
If they can't support me, I sure wish they would give me the tools to
support myself. (like Motherboard documentation)

They should be ashamed!
Sad Sad

. ..