P4C800-E Deluxe - Recommended Sound card or use motherboard sound

Old July 6th 04, 03:59 PM
Butch Hinton

Default P4C800-E Deluxe - Recommended Sound card or use motherboard sound

Hi all,
Need your recommendations:

I am not a gamer, will mainly use my system for
home video editing and may listening to cd's

Do you recommned using the onboard sound or
what soundcard do you recommend??

Thanks
Butch

Old July 6th 04, 05:32 PM
MikeSp

I just finished a new build based on that motherboard. It has decent
onboard sound which you might try. I am an audio nut and wanted the best
sound for the buck even on my computer and used an Audigy 2ZX Platinum sound
card--BUT found the hard way that there is a problem between Norton
Systemworks 2004 (especially the Antivirus portion) and the Audigy software.
IF I had it to do over again, either Norton or the Audigy 2ZX would have
been eliminated. Just some things to consider.

MikeSp

Old July 7th 04, 12:13 AM
DaveW

Using the onboard sound will place a ~10% load on the CPU for audio
decoding. I'd get a soundcard; it will alos have better quality sound.

--
DaveW

Old July 7th 04, 05:09 AM
Eli

No offense, Mike, but if you're an audio nut, why in the world did you
install a Creative sound card?

M-Audio for quality sound, Creative for low CPU overhead game play
(and not good for much else, IMO).

Old July 7th 04, 01:21 PM
MikeSp

Point well-taken. I did not do much research on the sound card and were I
to do another build soon (doubtful), the Revolution 7.1 would be of
interest--I was not familiar with it until I did some Googling. I felt that
the Audigy 2 ZX was a middling, mainstream and mature card that should have
no issues with its drivers and conflict with any other software---WRONG on
the software conflict part! As an audio and HT enthusiast, I watch DVDs
and listen to most music on my audio and HT system with my aging nongolden
ears;-)

MikeSp

Old July 7th 04, 04:42 PM
Memphoman

wrote:

I just finished a new build based on that motherboard. It has decent
onboard sound which you might try. I am an audio nut and wanted the best
sound for the buck even on my computer and used an Audigy 2ZX Platinum sound
card--BUT found the hard way that there is a problem between Norton
Systemworks 2004 (especially the Antivirus portion) and the Audigy software.
IF I had it to do over again, either Norton or the Audigy 2ZX would have
been eliminated. Just some things to consider.

MikeSp
"Butch Hinton" wrote in message
Hi all,
Need your recommendations:

I am not a gamer, will mainly use my system for
home video editing and may listening to cd's

Do you recommned using the onboard sound or
what soundcard do you recommend??

Thanks
Butch

NO CONTEST...Norton SystemWorks SUXs
NOD32 or Kaspersky AV far, far superior...NSW seems to be having the
same kind of effects on other software as EZ-CD Creator did in the
past...as always, IMHO
Memphoman
Old July 7th 04, 07:04 PM
MikeSp

wrote:

[...]

EZ-CD Creator--THAT brings back painful memories that were only solved with
Nero 5.5 and those memories nearly caused me to avoid purchasing Roxio Easy
Media Creator 7, except that it was hyped so much--now that it has a
conflict, I again reflect back and wonder IF I made another stoopid blunder.
Norton Systemworks 2004 also is an issue--just that I have been a user of
Norton since DOS days and found it utterly dependable and reliable in the
past, but now it seems so invasive that I will have to either lose it or my
Audigy 2ZX Platinum sound card. There are several good AV programs out
there, but having the convenience of a suite that keeps track of encrypted
passwords, does nice web cleanups, superficially checks the registry for
errors, prevents pop-ups, controls cookies, does a fair job of defragging,
etc. is VERY convenient and ALMOST offsets its problem conflicts with other
pieces of software. Sometimes I have wondered IF individual pieces of
unrelated standalone software to do the jobs of the NSW 2004 would be as
potentially troublesome--I could easily go back to Zone Alarm for a software
firewall until I get a router.

MikeSp