Creative audio not found on P2B-L

Old February 18th 04, 03:14 PM
Markko Hirvonen

Default Creative audio not found on P2B-L

I've just replaced a faulty motherboard with an Asus P2B-L motherboard
in a dual-boot Win2K/linux machine. Everything went smoothly, with all
hardware being picked up as before in both OSes (lan, video etc), with
the exception of the Creative PCI 128 sound card (CT4810).

This sound card was working fine in both Win2K and linux (Mandrake
9.1) with the old motherboard. It is detected in Win2K as "multimedia
audio controller" or some such generic name, but no amount of coaxing
with the correct drivers will get it to accept it and work at all. I'm
a bit of a linux newbie, but it is not properly recognised either,
only appearing as a generic sound card (that doesn't work).

So - my question is... is there any simple reason why the sound card
should work on the previous motherboard but not on the P2B-L? It
appears to be seated correctly etc, and as I said everything else
worked first time. Keep in mind that Win2k does recognise it as a
generic sound card but can't do anything with it. I just thought there
may have been some onboard setting or something that was disabling it
or interfering... but nothing I can find, apart from this SB-LINK
thing which is sort of Greek to me. This board appears not to have
onboard audio.

I wanted to ask here before I started replacing the sound card,
finding replacements to troubleshoot etc.

Thanks!
Markko
Old February 18th 04, 05:13 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Markko Hirvonen schrieb:

I've just replaced a faulty motherboard with an Asus P2B-L motherboard
in a dual-boot Win2K/linux machine. Everything went smoothly, with all
hardware being picked up as before in both OSes (lan, video etc), with
the exception of the Creative PCI 128 sound card (CT4810).

This sound card was working fine in both Win2K and linux (Mandrake
9.1) with the old motherboard. It is detected in Win2K as "multimedia
audio controller" or some such generic name, but no amount of coaxing
with the correct drivers will get it to accept it and work at all.

Try putting it into another slot, preferably one that doesn't share an
INT line with anything else.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, GF2MX AGP 32 MiB, 110W
Old February 19th 04, 11:40 AM
Markko Hirvonen

Stephan Grossklass wrote in message ...
Markko Hirvonen schrieb:

I've just replaced a faulty motherboard with an Asus P2B-L motherboard
in a dual-boot Win2K/linux machine. Everything went smoothly, with all
hardware being picked up as before in both OSes (lan, video etc), with
the exception of the Creative PCI 128 sound card (CT4810).

This sound card was working fine in both Win2K and linux (Mandrake
9.1) with the old motherboard. It is detected in Win2K as "multimedia
audio controller" or some such generic name, but no amount of coaxing
with the correct drivers will get it to accept it and work at all.

Try putting it into another slot, preferably one that doesn't share an
INT line with anything else.

Stephan

Thanks - a little trial and error in trying different slots and it worked.

Muchas gracias,
Markko