Problem with HP 3970 scanjet

Old January 3rd 04, 11:55 PM

Default Problem with HP 3970 scanjet

When I start-up my computer my scanner fails to "wake up" (also pressing any
of the front-side buttons gives no response) and I have tried all the fixes
on the HP website and I have talked to a tech but gave me little more advise
than the suggested fixes on the site. I am running Win XP sp1 2002 ver. and
am connecting the scanner through my USB port (I am not using a hub) . I
have already disables power management to the USB ports bu it did not help.
Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

mbowen83

Old January 4th 04, 01:50 AM
kony

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 16:55:05 -0600, wrote:

When I start-up my computer my scanner fails to "wake up" (also pressing any
of the front-side buttons gives no response) and I have tried all the fixes
on the HP website and I have talked to a tech but gave me little more advise
than the suggested fixes on the site. I am running Win XP sp1 2002 ver. and
am connecting the scanner through my USB port (I am not using a hub) . I
have already disables power management to the USB ports bu it did not help.
Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

mbowen83

Have you enabled legacy USB support in your BIOS?

What system, motherboard, is this exactly?

Did it always exhibit this problem or it started happening recently,
after some system change or no change or ???

is the scanner confirmed to work on another system, and/or the
computer confirmed to work with another scanner or at least other USB
devices? Have you tried unplugging all other USB devices?

What were the "suggested fixes on the site" that you tried?

When you write that it fails to wake up, can we assume this means it's
completely unusable, that even if an application tried to access it as
a twain device, it won't work?

Is it possible the power supply has failed? Have you, can you, use a
voltage meter to see if the power supply is working?

Dave
Old January 4th 04, 07:03 AM
kony

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:50:15 GMT, kony wrote:

snip

Is it possible the power supply has failed? Have you, can you, use a
voltage meter to see if the power supply is working?

To clarify, I mean the scanner power supply, not the system power
supply, though if the system is set up to use 5VSB for USB (check
motherboard manual, if it's user-selectable there may be jumpers) you
might try leaving USB unpowered when system is (soft) off, so the PSU
main 5V rail is powering USB... in other words, your system power
supply could play a part in this too, you might note it's 5VSB rating,
and if it's generic, doubt that rating.

Dave
Old January 4th 04, 05:27 PM
mbowen83

Have you enabled legacy USB support in your BIOS?

Yes.

What system, motherboard, is this exactly?

I am using an HP Pavilion ze5385us laptop, not sure what motherboard it is.

Did it always exhibit this problem or it started happening recently,
after some system change or no change or ???

It was a christmas present and has always dislpayed this problem. I failed
to mention in my original post that if I unplug it from the wall and plug it
back in it works perfectly fine untill I turn off my computer, but when I
power my system onagain it is not even recognized. I have a similar problem
with a DVD burner I purchased. I will work fine untill I shut off my
computer and when it is turned back on again it is displayed as an unknown
local drive (this dffers from the scanner because the computer knows
something is there when I go to the device manager I get a "device failed to
start" error)

is the scanner confirmed to work on another system, and/or the
computer confirmed to work with another scanner or at least other USB
devices? Have you tried unplugging all other USB devices?

Yes, I know the scanner works. I am also using a USB printer but have no
problems with it "waking-up", I also tried unplugging it and trying the
scanner on the other 2 USB ports to see if that would help but to no avail.

What were the "suggested fixes on the site" that you tried?

One of the suggested fixes were that I completely uninstall the scanner
Drivers, Registry values, ect. and then reinstall them, the next was to
disabl power management to the USB port and then restart the computer (
Itried this one even before going to the web site but it did not work), and
the fix the tech sugested was that I unplug all USB devices except for the
scanner uninstall the USB drivers and restart my computer to try to resolve
and conflicts if any but this avenue again failed.

When you write that it fails to wake up, can we assume this means it's
completely unusable, that even if an application tried to access it as
a twain device, it won't work?

Again I failed to mention the info in an above answer. It works great it
just will not power on when the system starts. When I unplug it and plug it
back in (from the wall) it works great.

Is it possible the power supply has failed? Have you, can you, use a
voltage meter to see if the power supply is working?

Also from your other post I do not have a multimeter or a USB power testing
device (if those exist). So I cannot provide any more information other than
I know that devices work on all 3 of my USB ports.

mbowen83

Dave

Troubleshooting Internet Problem Taishi General 1 October 26th 03 01:59 AM
Soltek SL-75FRN2-L BIOS flashing problem Ante Lazarusic General 4 October 23rd 03 02:22 PM
AMD Problem Sean General 9 September 17th 03 01:20 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM
Startup/Shutdown Problem Girgath General 5 August 8th 03 05:45 AM