Microsoft scrambles to fix worst Windows issue 'in recent memory'

Old May 11th 17, 06:59 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server, alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

Default Microsoft scrambles to fix worst Windows issue 'in recent memory'

There’s a hole in Windows big enough that Microsoft did an
emergency fix this week.

Called the “worst Windows remote code exec in recent memory” and
"crazy bad" by the Google security expert that discovered it,
the malware requires no interaction from a user. Often malware
requires a PC user to, for example, click on a bad link or do
something that -- unbeknownst to the user -- downloads rogue
code.

The fact that Microsoft took action immediately to fix it – a so-
called “emergency out-of-band update” – means it’s very serious.

“Unlike past incidents, where Microsoft has allowed exploited
zero-day vulnerabilities to fester in the wild without being
bothered to deliver a patch for months, this time around, the
company moved lightning fast to address the issue,” according to
a report at Bleeping Computer.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...rosoft-issues-
emergency-out-of-band-update-to-fix-crazy-bad-vulnerability/

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/05/...-scrambles-to-
fix-worst-windows-issue-in-recent-memory.html

Old May 12th 17, 05:53 AM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server, alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

In article .at
wrote:

There’s a hole in Windows big enough that Microsoft did an
emergency fix this week.

Called the “worst Windows remote code exec in recent memory”

Aren't they all "worst in recent memory" when it comes to
Windows?

We can thank Bill Gates for screwing with the kernel and
integrating Internet Exploder into the OS. Dumbest thing he
ever did.

Old May 12th 17, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

In article .at
wrote:

There’s a hole in Windows big enough that Microsoft did an
emergency fix this week.

Called the “worst Windows remote code exec in recent memory”

Aren't they all "worst in recent memory" when it comes to
Windows?

We can thank Bill Gates for screwing with the kernel and
integrating Internet Exploder into the OS. Dumbest thing he
ever did.

I think you have to look at it from M$ view. The more integrated
Explorer is, the more chance users will use it, so the more revenue it
will generate for M$ from ads. It's really all about money, not
creating the best product for users.
Old May 12th 17, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2017 06:53:57 +0200 (CEST), "Anonymous Remailer

In article .at
wrote:

There’s a hole in Windows big enough that Microsoft did an
emergency fix this week.

Called the “worst Windows remote code exec in recent memory”

Aren't they all "worst in recent memory" when it comes to
Windows?

We can thank Bill Gates for screwing with the kernel and
integrating Internet Exploder into the OS. Dumbest thing he
ever did.

I think you have to look at it from M$ view. The more integrated
Explorer is, the more chance users will use it, so the more revenue it
will generate for M$ from ads. It's really all about money, not
creating the best product for users.

Maybe the reference is to this ? It's Windows Defender scanning
incoming info. A patch to Windows Defender is needed for it
to avoid this potential exploit. Just a specially crafted
email deposited in your email account, is enough to do it.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...vulnerability/

Paul
Old May 12th 17, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Fri, 12 May 2017 09:43:43 -0400, Paul wrote:

| Maybe the reference is to this ? It's Windows Defender scanning
| incoming info. A patch to Windows Defender is needed for it
| to avoid this potential exploit. Just a specially crafted
| email deposited in your email account, is enough to do it.
|
| https://arstechnica.com/information-...vulnerability/

I'm guessing those of us who use antivirus other than Windows Defender weren't
affected.

Larc