CUDA standard with Windows ?

Old May 21st 11, 01:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default CUDA standard with Windows ?

Hello,

I just read a somewhat older posting that OpenCL/nvidia drivers would come
standard with Windows 7, is this indeed true ?

Further question:

Does windows 7 come with cuda drivers ?

If not will windows 8 come with cuda drivers ?

^

For software developers this is a bit interesting, less software to
distribute if it comes pre-installed.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 21st 11, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
Chris S.[_3_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
Hello,

I just read a somewhat older posting that OpenCL/nvidia drivers would come
standard with Windows 7, is this indeed true ?

Further question:

Does windows 7 come with cuda drivers ?

If not will windows 8 come with cuda drivers ?

^

For software developers this is a bit interesting, less software to
distribute if it comes pre-installed.

Bye,
Skybuck.

A 10 second Bing......

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_directcompute.html

Chris

Old May 22nd 11, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Chris S." wrote in message

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
Hello,

I just read a somewhat older posting that OpenCL/nvidia drivers would
come standard with Windows 7, is this indeed true ?

Further question:

Does windows 7 come with cuda drivers ?

If not will windows 8 come with cuda drivers ?

^

For software developers this is a bit interesting, less software to
distribute if it comes pre-installed.

Bye,
Skybuck.

A 10 second Bing......

Hm.. I'll take your word for it... I had so many webbrowsers open didn't
dare to risk losing them again because of bad websites.

Probably didn't even think of googling/binging it... it happens ! =D

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_directcompute.html

However this website does not seem to answer my question.

Direct Compute is Microsoft's own CUDA and I think it's different from
NVIDIA's CUDA... not sure though.

DirectCompute API versus CUDA API ?!?

^ Two different things ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 22nd 11, 09:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
Tony[_13_]

On May 22, 3:17*am, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
"Chris S." wrote in message

- Direct Compute is Microsoft's own CUDA and I think it's different
from -
- NVIDIA's CUDA... not sure though. -

I am not at all into any of this, but reading about it I became
convinced that you are mixing up the two concepts: DirectCompute is
not another version of CUDA - CUDA is a Chip technology and
DirectComputing is the API for programming such a chip. They belong
together - they would be completely useless without each other, but
different concepts.

If you know about terms like High and Low level language, you will see
that these are levels of abstraction away from the chip - I am sure we
all remember the days when everybody tried to beat everybody else over
the head with their own 'new' application that was often referred to
as being developed by way of programming some device 'directly' (i.e.)
by subverting the BIOS of that device. It could always be shown to be
fast, but sadly not a very stable way of handling things, because
everybody had to invent the soup-bowl from scratch every time.

So now, it would seem, we are still being beat over the head by a
completely new level of abstraction that might actually turn out to be
useful. High level Programming Language using a layer of abstraction
that is designed to give Low level instruction to a chip that is
designed to specifically execute such instructions (perhaps not using
any BIOS support at all?) Then probably co-operating with a standard
partner-chip that supposedly is relaying on its BIOS.?

Gee, Skybuck, I also don't realy know, but this I am sure of, we are
dealing with a special sort of API (really a CPI) designed to instruct
a special sort of chip. So, different concepts altogether.

Tony. . .
Old May 22nd 11, 08:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Well to start with nvidia fails to explain what CUDA stands for in their
documents.

But I did see it during a presentation and it's also on wikipedia.

It stands for something like:

Compute Unified Device Architecture or something.

But that name is misleading.

CUDA is by now many things, it's an architecture that spans hardware and
software.

It's an
piece of hardware/device
It's a driver.
It's an instruction set also called ptx.
It's an API.
It's a high level language.

Ofcourse I am referring to the CUDA API/runtime libraries.

Like cudart.dll

Which seems to stand for: cuda runtime dynamic link library.

And I am wondering if it will be supplied standard with windows.

It's like opengl32.dll.

Perhaps also some drivers (which might be needed for cudart.dll) for
graphics cards.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 23rd 11, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
Jim[_31_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
. home.nl...
And I am wondering if it will be supplied standard with windows.

It's like opengl32.dll.

Perhaps also some drivers (which might be needed for cudart.dll) for
graphics cards.

Bye,
Skybuck.

I think NV includes OpenCL/CUDA with their drivers. The drivers MS provides
with Windows and on Windows Update may not have them but only noobs use
those.
AMD recently started bundling OpenCL in the Catalyst Suit.
MS might include Intel's/AMD's driver for OpenCL (and CUDA when the x86 port
is done) on CPU but those probably will be to slow to be useful.

Old July 1st 11, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
Martin Riddle

"Jim" wrote in message
"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
. home.nl...
And I am wondering if it will be supplied standard with windows.

It's like opengl32.dll.

Perhaps also some drivers (which might be needed for cudart.dll) for
graphics cards.

Bye,
Skybuck.

I think NV includes OpenCL/CUDA with their drivers. The drivers MS
provides with Windows and on Windows Update may not have them but only
noobs use those.
AMD recently started bundling OpenCL in the Catalyst Suit.
MS might include Intel's/AMD's driver for OpenCL (and CUDA when the
x86 port is done) on CPU but those probably will be to slow to be
useful.

Interesting, I have been running SETI at home and the later release's
will run on the Nvidia GPU's, or at least crunch numbers on them. Might
want to look that up for more info. Looks like they off load some tasks
on the GPU thru OpenCL.
And I just have a lowly 9400GT nvidia card.

Cheers