PC Freezes

Old May 3rd 11, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default PC Freezes

Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
PS: I think I will put my old Radeon 8500LE vid card back in and try
that DVI-i\VGA adapter on it to see if my monitor will work. If it
works with that card, then I will know that the adapter is good. If
it doesn't, then I could only assume that the adapter is bad..
Interesting.

I put my old Radeon 8500LE in and I tried the DVI-i/VGA adapter in it and
once again, the PC booted into Windows but the screen remained as blank is
it does before you turn the power on. I shut down (ctrl-alt-del) and then
changed my monitor cable to the VGA port on the Radeon and rebooted again.
Monitor worked as it should.
Will look into another DVI-i/VGA connector.
Buffalo
PS: Reinstalled my BFG6600 card and it worked like before.

Apparently, Rivatuner can adjust the AGP slot for you.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpfix/rt3.jpg

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpfix...html#rivatuner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivatuner

Paul

Old May 3rd 11, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
PS: I think I will put my old Radeon 8500LE vid card back in and try
that DVI-i\VGA adapter on it to see if my monitor will work. If it
works with that card, then I will know that the adapter is good. If
it doesn't, then I could only assume that the adapter is bad..
Interesting.

I put my old Radeon 8500LE in and I tried the DVI-i/VGA adapter in it
and once again, the PC booted into Windows but the screen remained as
blank is it does before you turn the power on. I shut down
(ctrl-alt-del) and then changed my monitor cable to the VGA port on
the Radeon and rebooted again. Monitor worked as it should.
Will look into another DVI-i/VGA connector.
Buffalo
PS: Reinstalled my BFG6600 card and it worked like before.

After looking at pictures of the dvi/agp adapters, it appears I have a
DVI-D/VGA adapter and not a DVI-I/VGA adapter. (It could also be a
That could explain a lot and also gives me hope on using a 7600GT AGP card
with my CRT monitor. Yippee!@!
Buffalo
PS: My Radeon 8500LE DVI port looks like a DVI-D , but it is listed as a 29
pin combined DVI-i (don't know how they come up with that since there are
three rows of eight pins and then one wider horizontal pin), and not a 29
pin DVI-i. It didn't work with my adapter either.

Old May 3rd 11, 03:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I already have Rivatuner.
Just for kicks, I set my FSB (in the BIOS) to 150MHz and it booted up just
fine. When I tried it in Windows with Speedfan, it froze immediately. I am
now running at 2GHz with no increase in cpu temps. Quite a surprise.
I checked the speed with wcpuid and also with SpeedFan. It is now 150/30/150
and running stable at 2GHz. Still some vid card problems.
I also ordered a 24 +5 pin DVI-I to VGA adapter and it should be here by
next week. If it works, I will try using the XFX 7600gt AGP 256MB card to
see if it will help my games even more. I believe my cpu is limiting my
gaming at this time.
Buffalo
PS: Strange that the 24 +1 DVI to VGA adapter didn't work with my Sapphire
8500LE card because it has a VGA and also a 24 +1 DVI port. Hmmmm.

Old May 3rd 11, 03:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Buffalo wrote:
I checked the speed with wcpuid and also with SpeedFan. It is now
150/30/150 and running stable at 2GHz. Still some vid card problems.

That should read 2.1 GHz. My old speed was 2053MHz.
Buffalo
PS: If it remains stable with temps and performance, I may keep that setting
since it lowers my PCI and AGP bus speeds.
Time will tell.

Old May 3rd 11, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
I checked the speed with wcpuid and also with SpeedFan. It is now
150/30/150 and running stable at 2GHz. Still some vid card problems.

That should read 2.1 GHz. My old speed was 2053MHz.
Buffalo
PS: If it remains stable with temps and performance, I may keep that
setting since it lowers my PCI and AGP bus speeds.
Time will tell.

Whoops, Win2K didn't boot up this am and I had to reduce my cpu speed below
150MHz.
Buffalo

Old May 11th 11, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Buffalo wrote:
After looking at pictures of the dvi/agp adapters, it appears I have a
DVI-D/VGA adapter and not a DVI-I/VGA adapter.
That could explain a lot and also gives me hope on using a 7600GT AGP
card with my CRT monitor. Yippee!@!
Buffalo
PS: My Radeon 8500LE DVI port looks like a DVI-D , but it is listed
as a 29 pin combined DVI-i (don't know how they come up with that
since there are three rows of eight pins and then one wider
horizontal pin), and not a 29 pin DVI-i. It didn't work with my
adapter either.

I bought a DVI-i to VGA adapter and it works just like it should.
I am now using my XFX 7600GT 256MB AGP card and it is working as it should.
Still don't know why the 6600 oc had all those problems. Same drivers.
Happy it is working well and actually running cooler. Gaming is much
smoother on Quake3, Doom3, and Half-Life.
Thanks for your input and ideas, Paul.

Buffalo

Old May 11th 11, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

I wish I had a PC which would freeze... so cold... that would be awesome !
=D

Bye,
Skybuck ! =D

Old May 11th 11, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Skybuck Flying wrote:
I wish I had a PC which would freeze... so cold... that would be
awesome ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck ! =D

Hell, it's snowing here at this time. Bring it here and put it on my porch.
Buffalo

Old May 12th 11, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"Buffalo" wrote in message

Skybuck Flying wrote:
I wish I had a PC which would freeze... so cold... that would be
awesome ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck ! =D

Hell, it's snowing here at this time. Bring it here and put it on my
porch.
Buffalo

It won't be of much use... it's dead already ! =D

But I could send you the dead motherboard just for fun... but what would be
the point of it ?! =D

Safe yourself/your motherboard place it on there quickly before it dies too
! LOL =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Need help , pc freezes Helltower General 0 December 13th 06 02:38 PM
Computer freezes [email protected] General 4 March 8th 05 01:39 AM
PC Freezes David Barratt General 3 January 2nd 05 04:20 AM
PC freezes Nico Nvidia Videocards 8 October 12th 04 04:10 PM
New PC freezes - likely causes? Gilligan Monger Homebuilt PC's 4 July 8th 03 07:00 PM