my specs

Old April 14th 09, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_10_]

Default my specs

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Hugh Sutherland wrote:
I probably should of told you my specs:
Epox 8rda+ w/AMD 1800 cpu
2 gig memory
120 Gig HD and a 30 Gig backup
ATI 9550 256 video
logitech webcam usb and Lexmark 1270 USB printer

some say older m/b can't handle big USB drives like my 500Gig wd
w/16MB cache in my NexStar3 case

Couple random thoughts:

"Some say" wrong. The mobo doesn't have anything to do with limiting the
size of the HDD that's connected, that's up to the OS.

Motherboards of that era are very prone to failing capacitors
(unfortunately, as they're quite powerful enough to still be useful for a
few years yet). Do a visual check of all capacitors and look for bulging
tops, cans lifting off their 'plugs' and/or leakage.
***************************
I have a system very similar to yours (although it uses a Soltek mobo with
an nForce2/400/Ultra chipset and I've replaced some of the capacitors a
couple years back) that was working perfectly as a spare system right up
until I offered to lend it to a friend who's P4 system died. I disconnected
the machine, put their HDD in mine as a slave (so they could access their
data) and it wouldn't boot. Removed the HDD again and it still won't
boot....

I've messed about with it but haven't been able to ressurect it as yet. I
haven't had a clear workbench lately as I have a new flatmate sharing my
'office' space and, since the move in, some of my stuff was moved and hasn't
found a home, some of flatmate's is still in 'termporary' places.... I fully
intend to get to the root of it's problem though, it's a useful machine.

If I were you and my case supports room (and cooling) for another internal
HDD (and the mobo caps look fine) I'd use the WD HDD internally. You say IDE
huh? Not that many 500 giggers were IDE.... I used a PCI - SATA card in mine
to good effect.

Luck,
--
Shaun.

"Hugh Sutherland" wrote in message
I have a 500Gig WD w/16MB cach. The problem is I can only format it
when its attached as an IDE internal device. Once its formated I
then reattach it to the usb external and it will work SOMETIMES. I
had a A-BYTE external usb and had big problems with it. I recently
upgraded the external usb to a VANTEC NEXSTAR 3 and it works better.
I think its a power supply problem. I have a number of usb devices
like webcam and printer. I was wondering if I upgrade my computers
P/S to a 550W would that supply better power to the usb devices and
ensure that my usb HD would always connect on startup?

PC Specs Mark[_12_] Nvidia Videocards 1 December 10th 07 09:13 PM
PSU ATX 2.2 vs PCI E 2.0 specs jcazz Asus Motherboards 1 September 27th 07 11:33 PM
Specs on P5B MB Dewayne Thomas Asus Motherboards 1 January 24th 07 02:22 AM
New cpu specs? ***** charles AMD x86-64 Processors 3 September 20th 06 11:37 PM
Top Specs Muttly General 2 November 1st 03 02:29 AM