DDR2 1066 vs. 800

Old April 6th 09, 09:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
pawihte

Default DDR2 1066 vs. 800

With a reasonably fast computer - something like an AMD Phenom X4
920 - how much difference in performance can be expected by
switching between DDR2 800 and 1066, all other things remaining
the same? A couple of fps in gaming and a few % in rendering
movie files? Not even that or more than that?

Old April 6th 09, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
JT

pawihte wrote:
With a reasonably fast computer - something like an AMD Phenom X4
920 - how much difference in performance can be expected by
switching between DDR2 800 and 1066, all other things remaining
the same? A couple of fps in gaming and a few % in rendering
movie files? Not even that or more than that?

With my Intel E8400 rig I was running 4gig of 1066 DDR2, but began
experiencing lockup issues and realized that a couple sticks were bad. I
ended up replacing them with DDR2 800 and I haven't really noticed any
difference at all as far as speed and benchmarking goes.
Old April 7th 09, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 13:55:03 +0530, "pawihte"
wrote:

With a reasonably fast computer - something like an AMD Phenom X4
920 - how much difference in performance can be expected by
switching between DDR2 800 and 1066, all other things remaining
the same? A couple of fps in gaming and a few % in rendering
movie files? Not even that or more than that?

It would depend on which subsystem any particular app is
bottlenecked by the most, but yes in general you'd be
looking at a single-digit % performance improvement, perhaps
a little more in gaming if using integrated video, though if
using integrated video a video card would be a far larger
improvement.

Then there's memory timings... some 800 memory can run at
1066 with looser (higher numbered) timings and/or more
voltage, and some memory spec'd as 1066 may also be spec'd
to use looser timings and higher voltage with the looser
timings decreasing the performance improvement.

Now is a great time to buy DDR2 due to how cheap it is, but
as always the higher performance memory modules tend to cost
a bit more, though rebates are the wildcard and can put
value:dollar all over the map.
Old April 12th 09, 04:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
pawihte

JT wrote:
pawihte wrote:
With a reasonably fast computer - something like an AMD Phenom
X4
920 - how much difference in performance can be expected by
switching between DDR2 800 and 1066, all other things
remaining
the same? A couple of fps in gaming and a few % in rendering
movie files? Not even that or more than that?

With my Intel E8400 rig I was running 4gig of 1066 DDR2, but
began
experiencing lockup issues and realized that a couple sticks
were
bad. I ended up replacing them with DDR2 800 and I haven't
really
noticed any difference at all as far as speed and benchmarking
goes.

That's about what I expected. Thanks for the confirmation.