new computer runs very slow

Old April 3rd 09, 10:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default new computer runs very slow

Hello all ... I just got a brand new desktop (semi-homebuilt):

Processor: Core2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz,1333FSB,6MB cache,45nm
RAM: Corsair DDR-2-800 4GB Ram w/ heat-sink
motherboard: ASUS P5QL PRO
Videocard: Palit HD4870 1024MB DDR5 Sonic
Power supply: Great Wall 550SEL

Problem is that everything seems to run very slow, from booting up to
playing games.

Even in BIOS that simple graphic thing that runs across the top takes
over 30 seconds to go across.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 3rd 09, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Apr 3, 11:58*pm, Joel wrote:
wrote:
Hello all ... I just got a brand new desktop (semi-homebuilt):

Processor: *Core2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz,1333FSB,6MB cache,45nm
RAM: *Corsair DDR-2-800 4GB Ram w/ heat-sink
motherboard: *ASUS P5QL PRO
Videocard: *Palit HD4870 1024MB DDR5 Sonic
Power supply: *Great Wall 550SEL

Problem is that everything seems to run very slow, from booting up to
playing games.

Even in BIOS that simple graphic thing that runs across the top takes
over 30 seconds to go across.

Any thoughts out there?

* * * * Thought? *I don't think the information you list above has anything to do
with the problem you wanna solve.

* * * * If you just give some detail what program you installed, running at
StartUp etc.. especially the firewall, anti-virus and the setting etc.
Example, do you have email check enebaled? something running in background?

* * * * What does windows Task manager say?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome in advance- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the welcome!

I just timed the startup process from power on. It took 3 minutes,
including almost 2 minutes on the first screen (ASUS P5QL PRO Press
DEL to enter setup etc in a pretty blue color) which seems a very long
time - on my other computers this kind of screen flicks up fast and
you blink and you miss it.

Here is a list of things running at startup:

AVG 8.5
Windows Messenger
Windows Desktop Search
EPU-4 Engine
Realtek HD Audio Manager
ATI Catalyst Control Center

Task Manager:

CCC
alg
WindowsSearch
msnmsgr
cftmon
MOM
avgtray
FourEngine
RTHDCPL
shwicon2k
MSASCui
explorer
avgwdsvc
spoolsv
svchost
ati2evxx
avgcsrvx
svchost
svchost
ati2evxx
avgemc
lsass
services
winlogon
csrss
searchindexer
wmiprvse
uphclean
smss
avhnsx
taskmgr
avgrsx
System
System Idle Process (CPU=99, all others 00)

CPU usage is 0-1%
Old April 4th 09, 03:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ian D

wrote in message
On Apr 3, 11:58 pm, Joel wrote:
wrote:
[...]

First of all, this has nothing to do with the OS. It's strictly
a hardware issue. As you said, the Asus splash screen
should come up almost instantly. It looks like you have
a piece of hardware that's not responding during the POST,
or the CPU is running very slowly - possible overheating.

Here a few items applicable to this, in no particular order:

Is quick boot enabled in the BIOS?

Also, in the BIOS check to see that your CPU and RAM
are operating at the correct timings.

Check your CPU temp. IF the CPU heatsink isn't installed
correctly and the CPU gets too hot, it will throttle to a very
low clock speed to protect itself.

Disconnect all drives and boot, to see if a drive is slow in
responding, although that would only affect boot time.

Download CPU-Z to check the CPU operation and RAM
timings when running Windows.

Get Memtest86+ and test your memory.

Old April 4th 09, 03:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

Ian D wrote:

.... snip ...

I just timed the startup process from power on. It took 3 minutes,
including almost 2 minutes on the first screen (ASUS P5QL PRO Press
DEL to enter setup etc in a pretty blue color) which seems a very
long time - on my other computers this kind of screen flicks up
fast and you blink and you miss it.

This is the sort of thing that can be caused by disk
mis-configuration. If the system thinks there is a slave disk (on
an IDE line) and doesn't find it, it waits for the access to time
out. This takes one to two minutes. Then it disables the disk
(for that boot) and carries on.

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Old April 4th 09, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
David W. Hodgins

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 22:52:55 -0400, Ian D wrote:

I just timed the startup process from power on. It took 3 minutes,
including almost 2 minutes on the first screen (ASUS P5QL PRO Press
DEL to enter setup etc in a pretty blue color) which seems a very long

I'd check to see if the bios has the latest version. Next I'd doublecheck
every setting in the bios setup utility. If it's running this slow before it's
even loaded the boot record, something is very wrong, either with the
hardware, or the bios settings.

Some bios's store the memory configuration in the cmos, and must have
those settings cleared, using a jumper, in order for it to detect changes
in the memory configuration. May be worth a try, to clear the cmos.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Old April 4th 09, 05:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

CBFalconer wrote:
Ian D wrote:
... snip ...
I just timed the startup process from power on. It took 3 minutes,
including almost 2 minutes on the first screen (ASUS P5QL PRO Press
DEL to enter setup etc in a pretty blue color) which seems a very
long time - on my other computers this kind of screen flicks up
fast and you blink and you miss it.

This is the sort of thing that can be caused by disk
mis-configuration. If the system thinks there is a slave disk (on
an IDE line) and doesn't find it, it waits for the access to time
out. This takes one to two minutes. Then it disables the disk
(for that boot) and carries on.

Maybe the OP could post a list of what storage devices are
present, and which interfaces they're on.

The IDE storage controller on that board, is a separate Marvell
88SE6102. The Southbridge doesn't have any IDE ribbon cable
interfaces.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...pro_manual.zip

There are a few things that could be played with, like
setting Express Gate timer to zero. Or disabling
USB Legacy support. Or even temporarily disabling
the LAN interface.

Also, just for kicks, switch down to just one stick
of RAM.

Paul
Old April 4th 09, 10:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
darklight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UHTwPR1L0o
Old April 4th 09, 10:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Thanks for the suggestions Ian ... here's what I found:

Is quick boot enabled in the BIOS?

YES

Also, in the BIOS check to see that your CPU and RAM
are operating at the correct timings.

I think this is ok.

Check your CPU temp. *IF the CPU heatsink isn't installed
correctly and the CPU gets too hot, it will throttle to a very
low clock speed to protect itself.

I have checked this with Speedfan. Results:

System: 30C
CPU: 30C
AUX: 10C
HD0: 25C
Core 0: 35C
Core 1: 33C

Seems ok to me.

My box is a Thermaltake MX which should keep things cool.

Disconnect all drives and boot, to see if a drive is slow in
responding, although that would only affect boot time.

Not tried this yet ...

Download CPU-Z to check the CPU operation and RAM
timings when running Windows.

I'm not familiar with what is 'normal' here, but here is the output:

Processor:

Core Voltage: 1.072 V

Clocks (Core #0)

Core Speed: 1998.0 MHz
Multiplier: x 6.0
Bus Speed: 333.0 MHz
Rated FSB: 1332.1 MHz

Not sure what else is relevant ...

Get Memtest86+ and test your memory.- Hide quoted text -

Doing this tonight ... will advise on results.

Thanks again!

John.

Old April 6th 09, 12:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Apr 5, 8:42*pm, "~misfit~" wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarwebs wrote:

Hello all ... I just got a brand new desktop (semi-homebuilt):

Processor: *Core2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz,1333FSB,6MB cache,45nm
RAM: *Corsair DDR-2-800 4GB Ram w/ heat-sink
motherboard: *ASUS P5QL PRO
Videocard: *Palit HD4870 1024MB DDR5 Sonic
Power supply: *Great Wall 550SEL

Problem is that everything seems to run very slow, from booting up to
playing games.

Even in BIOS that simple graphic thing that runs across the top takes
over 30 seconds to go across.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance.

Thermal throttling. The heatsink isn't making proper contact.
--
Shaun.

he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.- Hide quoted text -

I thought that the temperature would be high in that case? They seem
to be reading ok. Is this wrong?