connection to TFT monitor

Old December 29th 07, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Rob[_9_]

Default connection to TFT monitor

Hi,

I'm using a 9800XT card and have just purchased a Samsung 20" TFT monitor
(SM2032BW). The card has a DVI-I port and the monitor has a DVI-D port. I
know I need to purchase a DVI-D to DVI-D cable but my question is do I go
for single link or dual link?

From searching Google, I believe the dual link cable will allow me to view
very high resolutions. but I'm unsure if either my card or the monitor has
dual link capability. Neither AMD or Samsung websites mention anything about
single or dual link so I'm at a loss. Anyone out there know which cable to
go for?

Cheers

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

Old December 29th 07, 08:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Craig Coope

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:49:56 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

Hi,

I'm using a 9800XT card and have just purchased a Samsung 20" TFT monitor
(SM2032BW). The card has a DVI-I port and the monitor has a DVI-D port. I
know I need to purchase a DVI-D to DVI-D cable but my question is do I go
for single link or dual link?

From searching Google, I believe the dual link cable will allow me to view
very high resolutions. but I'm unsure if either my card or the monitor has
dual link capability. Neither AMD or Samsung websites mention anything about
single or dual link so I'm at a loss. Anyone out there know which cable to
go for?

Cheers

Rob

Did it not come with a DVI cable?

I bought a Samsung 22" 226BW and after my initial no dvi problems it
worked with my 9800XT at the native 1680 x 1050...

I now have a X1950 Pro though...

As far as I know you will only need a single link (as that is what
mine is)

--
The Zero ST
Old December 29th 07, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

"Rob" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm using a 9800XT card and have just purchased a Samsung 20" TFT monitor
(SM2032BW). The card has a DVI-I port and the monitor has a DVI-D port. I
know I need to purchase a DVI-D to DVI-D cable but my question is do I go
for single link or dual link?

From searching Google, I believe the dual link cable will allow me to view
very high resolutions. but I'm unsure if either my card or the monitor has
dual link capability. Neither AMD or Samsung websites mention anything
about single or dual link so I'm at a loss. Anyone out there know which
cable to go for?

This is a 1680x1050 monitor. A dual link DVI cable will allow you to see the
exact same resolution as a single link DVI cable. Zero resolution
difference. You'll see a difference with the VGA vs DVI hookup, but that's
it.

Old December 29th 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Rob[_9_]

"Augustus" wrote in message

"Rob" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm using a 9800XT card and have just purchased a Samsung 20" TFT monitor
(SM2032BW). The card has a DVI-I port and the monitor has a DVI-D port. I
know I need to purchase a DVI-D to DVI-D cable but my question is do I go
for single link or dual link?

From searching Google, I believe the dual link cable will allow me to
view very high resolutions. but I'm unsure if either my card or the
monitor has dual link capability. Neither AMD or Samsung websites mention
anything about single or dual link so I'm at a loss. Anyone out there
know which cable to go for?

This is a 1680x1050 monitor. A dual link DVI cable will allow you to see
the exact same resolution as a single link DVI cable. Zero resolution
difference. You'll see a difference with the VGA vs DVI hookup, but that's
it.

Cheers guys.

The monitor doesn't arrive until next week. Currys website doesn't mention
what cables are included so I'm presuming just the normal VGA with the DVI
being an optional extra. I asked in store today and they reckon it doesn't
come with the cable but couldn't say for sure (typical). If you look on
PCWorld website the DVI cable is stated as optional extra and Currys and
PCWorld are basically the same people. However according to reviews from
people who purchased their monitor from Ebuyer it does come with DVI cable,
so who knows. I may just bite the bullet and buy one anyway cos I want to
use it with DVI cable straight out the box.

I did a bit more digging and basically worked it out for myself. The card is
capable of res up to 2048 * 1536 and the monitors max res is 1680 * 1050.
Single link DVI is capable of 1600*1200 so this will suffice. Cheapest I've
found is £4.99 for 1M

http://www.techfocus.co.uk/HDMI-DVI-...les/TFAV07.htm

If you know of any preferences ie cheaper, gold plated etc then I'd
appreciate the heads up.

Rob

Old December 29th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

I did a bit more digging and basically worked it out for myself. The card
is
capable of res up to 2048 * 1536 and the monitors max res is 1680 * 1050.
Single link DVI is capable of 1600*1200 so this will suffice. Cheapest
I've
found is £4.99 for 1M

http://www.techfocus.co.uk/HDMI-DVI-...les/TFAV07.htm

If you know of any preferences ie cheaper, gold plated etc then I'd
appreciate the heads up.

Just go with the cheapest. There's not a whole lot of real world advantage
to the fancy looking gold plated DVI cables.

Old December 31st 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Rob[_9_]

"Augustus" wrote in message
I did a bit more digging and basically worked it out for myself. The card
is
capable of res up to 2048 * 1536 and the monitors max res is 1680 * 1050.
Single link DVI is capable of 1600*1200 so this will suffice. Cheapest
I've
found is £4.99 for 1M

http://www.techfocus.co.uk/HDMI-DVI-...les/TFAV07.htm

If you know of any preferences ie cheaper, gold plated etc then I'd
appreciate the heads up.

Just go with the cheapest. There's not a whole lot of real world advantage
to the fancy looking gold plated DVI cables.

Monitor arrived today. Came with both VGA and DVI cables so happy days.
Monitor works fine, no dead pixels. Nice bit of kit for the money.

Rob

Old January 1st 08, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

Monitor arrived today. Came with both VGA and DVI cables so happy days.
Monitor works fine, no dead pixels. Nice bit of kit for the money.

That's always nice when they show up that way. It's fairly rare to have one
with a DVI cable included. Zero dead or stuck pixels is nice too. Glad
you're happy with it.