jumper setting increase speed of IBM 300PL 450->550mhz

Old June 30th 03, 03:32 PM
Kanolsen

Default jumper setting increase speed of IBM 300PL 450->550mhz

I just noticed in my IBM 300pl that there was a sticker with jumper
settings. I have now a 450mhz/100 and there choices up to 550mhz/100

Is it just for me to change the jumpers? if that is so why aren't the
like that from the factory?

thanx

Kanolsen
Old June 30th 03, 03:51 PM
Steve Reinis

You don't simply change the jumpers and magically have 100 extra horsepower.
The jumpers are there to adjust the motherboard's settings (bus frequency,
CPU voltage, etc) to match the processor that is installed. Only if you
have a PIII550 processor installed do you set the jumpers to that position.
You can get away with overclocking the processor at times (making it run
faster than it was designed for), but not always. It can lead to an
unstable system or a fried processor.

-Steve

Old June 30th 03, 07:43 PM
kony

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:32:26 +0200, Kanolsen kanolsen AT mail¤REMOVE¤
dot dk wrote:

I just noticed in my IBM 300pl that there was a sticker with jumper
settings. I have now a 450mhz/100 and there choices up to 550mhz/100

Is it just for me to change the jumpers? if that is so why aren't the
like that from the factory?

thanx

Kanolsen

Pentium II motherboards often provided multiplier change options such
as these as a sort of "legacy" feature, even though no retail or OEM
Intel processors allowed changing the multiplier. So, chaning it will
either result in no POST, or no change in frequency, unless you
happened to have a rare engineering-sample processor with no
multiplier lock (it's safe to say you don't if it's the original from
IBM).

Overclocking Intel processors such as that one is accomplished by
increasing the front-side-bus speed. Given enough voltage increase
(which may not be possible on your motherboard) it could possibly run
at 4.5 X multiplier, 133MHz FSB, except that you may have an Intel
440BX chipset, which in itself is overclocked past 100MHz, and that
causes an overclocked AGP bus at 89MHz... some video cards can handle
89MHz but some can't. If it's integrated video you don't have the BX
chipset, or at least not Northbridge-integrated video, but odds are
even lower that it'd be stable at 89MHz AGP speed.

It's possible that your motherboard could be upgraded with a
Coppermine Processsor on a slot 1 slotket adapter, but it might not
work, and it's a good value upgrade these days as it would've been a
few years ago.

Dave
Old July 1st 03, 01:38 PM
Spajky

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:43:27 GMT, kony wrote:

, except that you may have an Intel
440BX chipset, which in itself is overclocked past 100MHz, and that
causes an overclocked AGP bus at 89MHz... some video cards can handle
89MHz but some can't. If it's integrated video you don't have the BX
chipset, or at least not Northbridge-integrated video, but odds are
even lower that it'd be stable at 89MHz AGP speed.

This is more or less easily bypassed problem if having an nVidia
Video card; see my site @ my setup/how I did it ... :-)

-- Regards, SPAJKY
- http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/Spajky.htm
Celly-III OC-ed "Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##