"It Would Be Worth A Shot", Says GW Rep.

Old August 17th 04, 07:19 PM
Cal Cerise

Default "It Would Be Worth A Shot", Says GW Rep.

18:21 New party ('Mark Muley') has joined the session
18:21 You have been placed in queue. An advisor will join soon to
assist you. When you choose to finish your chat, please use the EXIT
CHAT button on your right.
18:27 New party ('Patrick') has joined the session
18:27 Mark Muley hello
18:27 Patrick Thank you for choosing Gateway.com, my name is Patrick
and I will be your e-Sales advisor. May I have your phone number to
better serve you?
18:28 Mark Muley i thought it said to enter that on the screen before
18:28 Patrick I'm sorry, there it is...How are you doing tonight
Mark?
18:28 Mark Muley ok, i'm here...
18:29 Patrick How can I help you tonight?
18:30 Mark Muley i'm a radio engineer with several tech people i
support and i was looking into getting a couple of notebooks for the
two sites and
18:30 Mark Muley a separate removable hdd module for each user
18:30 Patrick I'll be glad to help you with that purchase.
18:30 Patrick At Gateway, we put together solutions to fit your
needs. We feature award winning PCs and the #1 plasma TV in the
market. In order to put together a solution for you may I ask you a
few questions?
18:31 Mark Muley i spoke with tech support yesterday
18:31 Mark Muley it looks like we want the 675
18:31 Patrick Very nice choice!
18:32 Patrick Which of the 675 models were you wanting to go with?
18:32 Mark Muley seems to be the only one with two modular bays
18:32 Patrick That is correct.
18:32 Mark Muley the smaller display is fine
18:32 Mark Muley here's the deal
18:33 Mark Muley can i get the machines with the one hdd in the
modular bay only?
18:33 Patrick Please wait one moment while I look into this for you.
18:35 Patrick I'm afraid not. There is not an option to remove the
CD-Rom on the 675E, but there is a modular 60GB hard drive that will
come in place of the floppy.
18:35 Mark Muley no, i want each machine to have a cdrom
18:35 Mark Muley and an empty slot
18:35 Mark Muley eacu user will have their own Modular HDD
18:38 Patrick I see, that will not be a problem. It sounds like the
675E is the way you will need to go.
18:38 Mark Muley ok
18:38 Patrick What price range were you looking to stay around for
each system?
18:39 Mark Muley so here's what we need, two chassis, two cdroms, and
4 hard drives, each in the modular carrier
18:39 Mark Muley is that ok?
18:39 Patrick There will still be internal hard drives in the systems
too.
18:39 Patrick Those cannot be removed.
18:39 Mark Muley what do i do with those?
18:40 Mark Muley can i get two complete modular hdd assy's and 2
empty (no hdd) ones
18:40 Mark Muley to put those hdds in?
18:41 Patrick We would not be able to load the operating system to a
modular drive, you will need the internal hard drives for the system
to operate.
18:41 Mark Muley they told me tech support, the modular drive was the
same as the internal hdd bay as far as
18:42 Mark Muley being a bootable drive was concerned
18:42 Mark Muley so each user can put on the hdd what they need
18:42 Patrick You can load an operating system to a modular drive,
but we do not have the option for that at the point of sales.
18:43 Patrick *sale*
18:43 Mark Muley no problem
18:43 Mark Muley we will whack and load each one anyway
18:43 Patrick Sounds good.
18:44 Mark Muley so I don't wind up with four extra hdds I don't need
18:45 Patrick Let me price out two 675E's for you each with a 60Gb
modular hard drive.
18:45 Mark Muley ok
18:46 Patrick It looks like with that addition, you are looking at
$3936.00 plus S&H and applicable taxes.
18:46 Mark Muley for both?
18:47 Patrick That is correct. Does this sound like what you had in
mind for your new Gateway notebooks Mark?
18:47 Mark Muley ok
18:47 Mark Muley this is with two hdds in each machine, right?
18:48 Patrick That is with a 40Gb internal drive, and a 60Gb modular
drive for each machine.
18:48 Mark Muley ok
18:48 Mark Muley now
18:48 Mark Muley can I get _empty_ Modular HDD carriers, to put those
two 40s in?
18:49 Patrick Let me see if we have those carriers on the accessory
store site. I'll be right back.
18:53 Mark Muley ok
18:56 Patrick We have drive carriers available for desktop systems,
but not notebooks.
18:56 Mark Muley that's as i suspected
18:58 Patrick Would you still like to go with the two 675E's with one
internal ,and one modular hard drive?
18:58 Mark Muley i'll have to check
18:58 Mark Muley but, it's kind of silly I cant get the machines
without internal hdd's
18:59 Patrick When were you looking to invest in your new notebooks?
18:59 Mark Muley we are not in any huge hurry
18:59 Mark Muley here's the deal
19:00 Mark Muley any computer in our company is subject to our
management policy
19:00 Mark Muley which means we have a standard antivirus, spam, and
user monitoring package
19:01 Mark Muley This makes management a problem, especially at remoe
sites
19:02 Mark Muley if we do not have a hdd in the machine, and each
user "owns" his/her hdd
19:02 Mark Muley they can put any sw they need on it
19:02 Patrick I do understand. I wish that I could have done more to
help you out. Can you do me one favor?
19:03 Mark Muley depends
19:03 Mark Muley what did you have in mind?
19:03 Patrick If you decide that this is still the way you would like
to go call me at 1-800-846-2036 snip or place your order online and
type "Patrick" in the eSales Advisor field. I will make sure your
order is entered correctly for you.
19:04 Mark Muley how about this
19:04 Mark Muley if we buy those two computers complete at list as
you quoted,
19:04 Mark Muley those empty carriers are probably very cheap for the
company to get
19:05 Mark Muley can you get them to include a couple to make the
deal?
19:06 Patrick We do not carry notebook hard drive carriers for this
model. The beat I would be able to do is see if we can apply a
discount if you would like to get two additional modular hard drives.
19:06 Patrick *best*
19:06 Mark Muley then what do I do with the two 40 gb drives?
19:07 Patrick That cannot be removed.
19:08 Mark Muley what do you mean?
19:08 Mark Muley are they hermetically sealed in there?
19:08 Mark Muley If they died how would we fix them?
19:09 Patrick At the point of sale we do not have the option to
remove that drive.
19:09 Patrick If I could do this for you, I certainly would.
19:10 Mark Muley let me check with some other vendors
19:10 Mark Muley my guess is i can get a toshiba this way
19:11 Patrick It would be worth a shot.
19:11 Patrick For your convenience and future reference, you will
receive a detailed transcript of our chat session including all page
links provided today via e-mail. Thank you for chatting with Gateway
eCountry.
19:13 Mark Muley ok
19:19 Mark Muley ok
Old August 17th 04, 08:21 PM
Ben Myers

Could this be the script for a new reality TV show? ... Ben Myers

On 17 Aug 2004 11:19:04 -0700, (Cal Cerise) wrote:

[...]

Cat Drvrs 4.9 to 4.10...worth the upgrade?? GolfNut Ati Videocards 3 October 18th 04 09:30 AM
Are cpu shims worth using? Jim General 4 April 11th 04 04:10 PM
Are cpu shims worth using? Jim Overclocking AMD Processors 1 April 11th 04 04:00 PM
Are cpu shims worth using? Jim Homebuilt PC's 1 April 11th 04 04:00 PM
ATA/133 Controller card worth it? DVR Homebuilt PC's 11 July 12th 03 06:18 AM