Windows 10, 170MB of unknown downloads every day when it boots up???

Old January 5th 18, 01:57 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server, alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy, uk.comp.homebuilt, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nomen Nescio

Default Windows 10, 170MB of unknown downloads every day when it boots up???

During this time the disk is constantly thrashing and the CPU is
at 100%.

Is this really necessary?

WTF is this crap?

microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps

Microsoft.SkypeApp

Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp

Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer

Old January 5th 18, 03:17 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris Whelan

Nomen Nescio wrote:

[...]

WTF is this crap?

Windows 10.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old January 5th 18, 04:18 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 5/1/2018 20:57, Nomen Nescio wrote:
During this time the disk is constantly thrashing and the CPU is
at 100%.

Is this really necessary?

WTF is this crap?

Turn off sharing of Window Update!

https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=w...sharing+update

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old January 6th 18, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Nomen Nescio wrote:
During this time the disk is constantly thrashing and the CPU is
at 100%.

Is this really necessary?

WTF is this crap?

microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps

Microsoft.SkypeApp

Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp

Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer

That means the attempt to update those crap things,
is failing, and the stupid updater will try over and
over and over again...

There is "WSReset.exe" but I don't know if that has
anything to do with the actual App ecosystem itself.

And I don't think those things are visible in
Windows Update, so using the Windows Update
Troubleshooter (in Control Panels) is going to
help either.

To get to control panels, you can use right-click Start,
Run, "control" and that will bring the control panels
back. In there is "Troubleshooter" and you can use
the search box for "Updates" or "Store" to look for
potential troubleshooters.

The troubleshooters don't typically use "sekret knowledge".
They've basically the same scripts kicking around
some of the forums, such as tenforums.com.

The tenforums.com site has tutorials. I don't think
this one is necessarily going to help you. I'm not
convinced you need this level of cleaning yet.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

But what that page does suggest to me, is you could
create a new account, and log into that account
for a day or two, and see if the problem goes away.

if it does, it could be SID related, and as that
tutorial suggests, something stored on a per-account
basis that is messed up. It might be that only
your current account, is causing the Store to update
over and over. Then you can use the whoami to
trace down the account info. User accounts start at
1000, and the administrator is 500. The three other
groups of digits, are a "per OS installation" set
of random numbers. The number on the end is effectively
the account number.

AFAIK, what WSreset is supposed to do, one of the things,
is re-download purchased or freebie Apps. But I don't
know if that includes cleaning out the Skype mess or not.
The OS default stuff, I don't know if it's considered
part of the WSreset domain or not. And this is what
happens, when an idiot company decides to "split" how
stuff works, and not have it all under Windows Update.
If the bloody stuff was all logged in Windows Update,
it would be a lot easier to maintain (one size hammer
fits all).

Paul
Old January 6th 18, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10, comp.os.linux.advocacy, uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, alt.test
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

In article
John Doe wrote:

Off-topic psychopath nym-shifting troll...

No whining in Usenet.

logging-data="27470"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-
september.org"; posting-
account="U2FsdGVkX1+aPo6oiUTMkYLUvwwozNkjFlCb81zK7 8o="

Old January 8th 18, 05:51 AM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Andy Burns[_6_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Turn off sharing of Window Update!

I only just realised you can tell how much WU data is coming from
Microsoft/LAN/Internet and how much is going to LAN/Internet

StartSettingsUpdate&SecurityWindowsUpdateAdvan cedOptionsDeliveryOptimisationActivityMonitor

Old January 8th 18, 07:55 AM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 8/1/2018 12:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Turn off sharing of Window Update!

I only just realised you can tell how much WU data is coming from
Microsoft/LAN/Internet and how much is going to LAN/Internet

I don't care. I just disable them every time I installed Win 10.

https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=w...hings+turn+off