Gateway NV 57H57u Laptop

Old February 10th 12, 10:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan[_2_]

Default Gateway NV 57H57u Laptop

My new laptop is nagging me to make the backup/restore disks, but it
doesn't tell me what TYPE of disks are needed for this process, or how
many it will take.

It does say that *during the process* it will tell you HOW many are
needed, but at the same time WARNS you not to do anything to interrupt
the process. What if I don't have enough disks, even if I could guess
what disks will work?

Can anyone help this old woman out?
bj

Old February 11th 12, 09:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ken Whiton

*-* On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, at 17:24:59 -0500,
*-* In Article ,
*-* chicagofan wrote
*-* About Gateway NV 57H57u Laptop

My new laptop is nagging me to make the backup/restore disks, but it
doesn't tell me what TYPE of disks are needed for this process, or
how many it will take.

It should be able to use either CDs or DVDs. My 2 1/2 year old
laptop (non-Gateway), running 32-bit Vista, took 3 DVDs. I don't
remember for sure, but ISTR that it said it would require 17 CDs. :-(
I'm guessing that your new machine is running 64-bit Windows 7, so it
will probably take 4 or 5 DVDs, or somewhere north of 20 CDs.

It does say that *during the process* it will tell you HOW many are
needed, but at the same time WARNS you not to do anything to
interrupt the process. What if I don't have enough disks, even if I
could guess what disks will work?

It should tell you (and give you an option to halt the process if
you don't have enough disks) at the beginning of the process, *BEFORE*
it gets to the "Do Not Interrupt" part. I know mine did.

Can anyone help this old woman out?

Sure. Which way did you come in? :-D

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: L (remove the obvious to reply)
Old February 11th 12, 01:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

On Feb 10, 5:24*pm, chicagofan wrote:
My new laptop is nagging me to make the backup/restore disks, but it
doesn't tell me what TYPE of disks are needed for this process, or how
many it will take. *

It does say that *during the process* it will tell you HOW many are
needed, but at the same time WARNS you not to do anything to interrupt
the process. *What if I don't have enough disks, even if I could guess
what disks will work?

Can anyone help this old woman out? *
bj

Took me 6 DVD's to back up my old woman's Toshiba.

When I bought it, CompUSA offered to do it for $20 and I would have
done that but declined as I would have had to left it in the store for
at least a half hour and had no other place to go in the meantime.
Old February 12th 12, 02:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan[_2_]

Ken Whiton wrote:
*-* chicagofan wrote
*-* About Gateway NV 57H57u Laptop

My new laptop is nagging me to make the backup/restore disks, but it
doesn't tell me what TYPE of disks are needed for this process, or
how many it will take.

It should be able to use either CDs or DVDs. My 2 1/2 year old
laptop (non-Gateway), running 32-bit Vista, took 3 DVDs. I don't
remember for sure, but ISTR that it said it would require 17 CDs. :-(
I'm guessing that your new machine is running 64-bit Windows 7, so it
will probably take 4 or 5 DVDs, or somewhere north of 20 CDs.

That's right 64 bit, and I've seen other estimates now of 4-5 DVD-Rs.

It does say that *during the process* it will tell you HOW many are
needed, but at the same time WARNS you not to do anything to
interrupt the process. What if I don't have enough disks, even if I
could guess what disks will work?

It should tell you (and give you an option to halt the process if
you don't have enough disks) at the beginning of the process, *BEFORE*
it gets to the "Do Not Interrupt" part. I know mine did.

That's a relief!

Can anyone help this old woman out?

Sure. Which way did you come in? :-D

Ken Whiton

LOL!!! That's what I wanted you to tell me!

Thanks for the great info about your experience and DVDs used.
bj
Old February 12th 12, 03:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan[_2_]

Frank wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:24 pm, wrote:

My new laptop is nagging me to make the backup/restore disks, but it
doesn't tell me what TYPE of disks are needed for this process, or how
many it will take.

It does say that *during the process* it will tell you HOW many are
needed, but at the same time WARNS you not to do anything to interrupt
the process. What if I don't have enough disks, even if I could guess
what disks will work?

Can anyone help this old woman out?
bj

Took me 6 DVD's to back up my old woman's Toshiba.

When I bought it, CompUSA offered to do it for $20 and I would have
done that but declined as I would have had to left it in the store for
at least a half hour and had no other place to go in the meantime.

LOL! I know she appreciated it, as much as I do you sharing this info
with me.
bj

Old February 12th 12, 09:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ken Whiton

*-* On Sat, 11 Feb 2012, at 21:59:03 -0500,

Ken Whiton wrote:
*-* chicagofan wrote
*-* About Gateway NV 57H57u Laptop

My new laptop is nagging me to make the backup/restore disks, but
it doesn't tell me what TYPE of disks are needed for this process,
or how many it will take.

It should be able to use either CDs or DVDs. My 2 1/2 year
old laptop (non-Gateway), running 32-bit Vista, took 3 DVDs. I
don't remember for sure, but ISTR that it said it would require 17
CDs. :-( I'm guessing that your new machine is running 64-bit
Windows 7, so it will probably take 4 or 5 DVDs, or somewhere north
of 20 CDs.

That's right 64 bit, and I've seen other estimates now of 4-5
DVD-Rs.

64-bit seems to be about all they're selling now, so that was an
easy guess. The number of disks needed will depend in part in how
much extra bloatware, aka preloaded software, they saddle you with.

It does say that *during the process* it will tell you HOW many
are needed, but at the same time WARNS you not to do anything to
interrupt the process. What if I don't have enough disks, even if
I could guess what disks will work?

It should tell you (and give you an option to halt the
process if you don't have enough disks) at the beginning of the
process, *BEFORE* it gets to the "Do Not Interrupt" part. I know
mine did.

That's a relief!

Once it starts actually writing to disk you don't want to
interrupt it. Before that, interrupting it probably wouldn't be a
problem.

Can anyone help this old woman out?

Sure. Which way did you come in? :-D

LOL!!! That's what I wanted you to tell me!

It's an old line, but it's still good for a chuckle once in a
while. ;-)

Thanks for the great info about your experience and DVDs used.

You're welcome.

There's one other thing. You should have a few extra disks on
hand, in case of problems. On my laptop, the recovery disk creator
writes to disk and then checks the disk for errors. 92% of the way
through the check on the first disk it found an error, so that disk
became a coaster, and the whole process had to start over again.
After that, however, it went through the whole process with no more
errors.

Ken Whiton
Old February 13th 12, 12:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
chicagofan[_2_]

Ken Whiton wrote:

*-* chicagofan wrote
*-* About Gateway NV 57H57u Laptop

Can anyone help this old woman out?

Sure. Which way did you come in? :-D

LOL!!! That's what I wanted you to tell me!

It's an old line, but it's still good for a chuckle once in a
while. ;-)

Thanks for the great info about your experience and DVDs used.

You're welcome.

There's one other thing. You should have a few extra disks on
hand, in case of problems. On my laptop, the recovery disk creator
writes to disk and then checks the disk for errors. 92% of the way
through the check on the first disk it found an error, so that disk
became a coaster, and the whole process had to start over again.
After that, however, it went through the whole process with no more
errors.

Ken Whiton

Thanks again, for the great info.

BTW... it took 3 disks for the Gateway Factory Default Recovery disks,
and 1 disk for the Drivers/Applications only disk.
bj