Small cheap printer with Ethernet?

Old August 2nd 11, 04:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Justin[_14_]

Default Small cheap printer with Ethernet?

Hi folks... I am currently using an old HP 6P printer on an ethernet
adapter, and its crap. It works, but I underestimated the amount of use
the printer would get.
Are there any somewhat compact and cheap printers out there used or
otherwise that have an ethernet port? I definitely want to stick with
laser since inkjet is less reliable.
I'm on the lookout for a Samsung ML2525 (minus the W since I don't need
wireless connectivity) just to get an idea of what I'm looking for.
Maybe Samsung has a discontinued model with ethernet that I'm not aware
of? Or HP - I really don't care which brand.
Old August 2nd 11, 04:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jeff Jonas

Hi folks... I am currently using an old HP 6P printer
on an ethernet adapter, and its crap.
It works, but I underestimated the amount of use
the printer would get.

I understand your desires.
I scored a wide carriage HP inkjet printer with Ethernet
and it's a delight to have any computer on the network
use the printer directly.
Point any web browser to the printer for status and administration.

You want a laser printer for high use.
I'd suggest focusing on a well rated print engine
with affordable toner.
If it has Ethernet built-in or allows an add-on, great!
(I've seen JetDirect cards to retrofit nearly any HP printer).
Otherwise it's trivial to get a printer server
that converts 10/100 ethernet to serial, parallel and/or USB.
The frustration is losing full remote administration
such as toner level status.

Old August 3rd 11, 09:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rob van der Putten

Hi there

Jeff Jonas wrote:

I understand your desires.
I scored a wide carriage HP inkjet printer with Ethernet
and it's a delight to have any computer on the network
use the printer directly.
Point any web browser to the printer for status and administration.

You want a laser printer for high use.
I'd suggest focusing on a well rated print engine
with affordable toner.
If it has Ethernet built-in or allows an add-on, great!
(I've seen JetDirect cards to retrofit nearly any HP printer).
Otherwise it's trivial to get a printer server
that converts 10/100 ethernet to serial, parallel and/or USB.
The frustration is losing full remote administration
such as toner level status.

Ethernet is a lot faster then parallel. Go for ethernet.
Duplex is nice too.

Regards,
Rob
--
Wim T. Schippers for president
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand..._Drienerlo.jpg

Cheap, small, Quiet Heatsink/fan for overclocking? area51[_2_] Overclocking 2 February 23rd 08 05:42 AM
small/cheap printer stephent Printers 5 July 7th 05 02:35 PM
Small, cheap color printer? alabaster Printers 3 May 30th 04 07:45 AM
Cheap and cheap-to-run laser printer available in UK? Jim T Printers 1 November 13th 03 03:52 AM
My First LCD Monitor--Help Needed for Small & Cheap Selection... Will Mercer Homebuilt PC's 0 September 5th 03 12:47 PM