Connecting USB to parallel device (in Windows 7?)

Old March 1st 11, 05:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DManzaluni

Default Connecting USB to parallel device (in Windows 7?)

I have a computer with both Windows 7 and XP installed on it and am
trying to use a Laserjet 6L on an infowave USB to parallel converter.

The converter shows up correctly as an Agere printer in the systray
when it is connected but not on the printers page, whatever that
means? I have installed the Laserjet 6L but I cant see how to port it
to the USB to parallel connector?

I tried going to Ports in Printer properties but only normal ports are
shown such as LPT1-3, various COMs etc show up in Printers. I did try
adding a port but it didnt seem to let me configure it as a USB port.
Nothing shows the Agere printer once I receive the message that it has
successfully been installed, - neither as a printer nor as anything
in device manager.

I tried adding a port and calling it LPT1USB but I think it only added
the name, The OS now doesn't let me configure the device to be or to
use a USB port.

(same problem with XP so I assume the solution should be the same)
Old March 1st 11, 09:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
ng_reader

On 3/1/2011 12:17 PM, DManzaluni wrote:
[...]

I don't know the answer to your question, but, just like your USB to
Parallel device wasn't probably too expensive, finding an internal card
that will offer a parallel interface should not be too expensive either.

Of course, you know, it's time to retire that printer....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-018-_-Product

15 bucks at newegg

Old March 2nd 11, 08:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DManzaluni

I don't know the answer to your question, but, just like your USB to
Parallel device wasn't probably too expensive, finding an internal card
that will offer a parallel interface should not be too expensive either.

I had a look at the device you mentioned and it looks perfectly
serviceable but I cant really connect it to a MacBook Pro.

Of course, you know, it's time to retire that printer....

Yes, I accept that (I took it out of retirement!) but I also have a
Laserjet 1300 which is a bit newer and a few spare cartridges for it
and the 1300 has started only lighting up it's front lights after any
first page instead of printing the whole document and I cant figure
out what is wrong with it. So as I cant see any difference in
functionality between these old printers and new laserjets, I thought
I might try this USB-Parallel device which should do at least
something?
Old March 2nd 11, 09:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

DManzaluni wrote:

[...]

If the Laserjet 1300 prints one page and then some lights come on then there is
a problem with the printer. If you want to post what the condition of each
light is (on, of, flashing etc), I will see if I can interpret the problem.
Tony

Old March 3rd 11, 04:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DManzaluni

On Mar 2, 4:00*pm, Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote:

If the Laserjet 1300 prints one page and then some lights come on then there is
a problem with the printer. If you want to post what the condition of each
light is (on, of, flashing etc), I will see if I can interpret the problem.
Tony

Thanks for that Tony, I would quite like to dump such an elderly
printer as this 6L where I should be able to use spare carts from the
6L in the 1300! Especially as the USB-Parallel cable seem to be a
major problem.

The symptoms on the 1300 are that all lights stay on and the printer
stops working: I can delete all jobs and unplug the printer and start
it again and let it re-cycle and then it returns to normal state but
as soon as I try to print one job, it just prints the first page and
then all three lights come on again.
Old March 3rd 11, 07:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
ng_reader

On 3/3/2011 11:08 AM, DManzaluni wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a general error in communication. Information makes it
way to the printer, the printer sends acknowledgment back, but never
hears back again.

But from what I read, the 1300 should take standard USB "printer" cable.
I couldn't tell which com ports the 6L came with, but, besides the
parallel their might be a serial that might work. Of course, that's
another special cable itself. And slower.
Old March 3rd 11, 09:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

DManzaluni wrote:
[...]

This is the procedure to follow -
1. Turn the printer off and back on.
2. Unplug the printer for 5 minutes, plug it
back in, and turn it on.
3. If the printer still has an error, press
and hold down the GO button. Record what lights are on and let me know what the
condition of the lights is, some may be flashing. There are many possibilities
but be warned the all 3 lights on steady is a "fatal error" and repair may be
very expensive, can't be sure until I get the second set of lights.
Tony

Old March 3rd 11, 09:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DManzaluni

On Mar 3, 4:12*pm, Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote:
DManzaluni wrote:

[...]

No, the whole point is that when I unplug and leave, the printer
cycles and reports that all is OK

Only after the first page do all the lights go on and the print job
stops.Nothing I can do then will have any effect on the lights besides
unplugging it. Does this sound fatal? If so, even more need to
figure out how on earth to get the Infowave/ Agere Systems cable to
work with the 6L!!
Old March 3rd 11, 10:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

DManzaluni wrote:

[...]

With all lights on, if you press the GO buttone, what do the lights do then?
Tony

Old March 5th 11, 10:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Splork

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:17:37 -0800 (PST), DManzaluni
wrote:

[...]

I was looking for some info for a client and found this suggestion:

* Plug in the USB adapter but leave it disconnected from the printer.
The PC will detect the hardware and find the drivers (for the adapter)
automatically. Next go to Start and click on Devices and Printers. The
USB device will show as unknown device or something similar. Close
down the window and shutdown the PC.

* Connect the USB adapter to the printer and switch on the printer and
wait until the printer shows Ready. Now start the PC. Click Start and
click on Devices and Printers. Next click on Add a Printer. A new
window will open: select Add a local printer. Ensure the “Use an
existing port” radio button is selected and open the dropdown list.
There should be an entry labelled USB001 (Virtual printer port for
USB). Select it and click the Next button. In the new window Select HP
and then choose Laserjet "(model)" from the long inventory listed.
Click the next button and it should work.