SATA Drives 1.5GBs vs 3.0GBs - Slower speeds?

Old December 13th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jason

Default SATA Drives 1.5GBs vs 3.0GBs - Slower speeds?

Hello,

I currently have a 3.0/GBs 250GB SATA hard drive in my PC. I have been
given the option to purchase a new 200GB 1.5/GBs drive from my job for
a great price. I am wondering if SATA is like IDE, if I connect a
1.5/GBs speed drive to my motherboard, will this slow down my 3.0/GBs
drive. I plan to use the 200GB 1.5/GBs drive for backup purposes only
and won't be installing the OS on it.

Thanks,
Jason

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 13th 06, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Jason wrote

I currently have a 3.0/GBs 250GB SATA hard drive in my PC. I have been
given the option to purchase a new 200GB 1.5/GBs drive from my job for
a great price. I am wondering if SATA is like IDE, if I connect a 1.5/GBs
speed drive to my motherboard, will this slow down my 3.0/GBs drive.

No it wont, and you dont get that effect with IDE drives either.

I plan to use the 200GB 1.5/GBs drive for backup
purposes only and won't be installing the OS on it.

It'll be fine, tho it will likely not perform quite as well
as the 250G drive just because its likely a generation
older technology and so likely has less sectors per track.

Old December 13th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jason

Thanks for the quick feedback

Jason wrote

Old December 13th 06, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

You did not say what make and model of motherboard you are using. Does it
even FULLY support SATA II (3.0 GB/s)?

--
DaveW