General Application help.

Old December 13th 05, 06:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Default General Application help.

Here's a follow up to my question on how to diagnose and fix a clicking
hesitation problem on my Gateway PC, after excluding mouse clicking
problems. Ed, the only responder, said he read somewhere about a spyware
program causing delay by checking for interference every time a site was
changed. What I didn't say, because I didn't know at the time of writing, is
that I had developed a hugely slow Windows (XP) shutdown also - 2 full
minutes to get the Stand by/Turn off/Restart screen then a further 2.5
minutes to shut down.

Searching around on the Web helped me confirm that I had a program in
Startup that was killing my shutdown and incidentally was causing
inconsistent hesitation on clicking. It took a while to isolate it from the
unbelievable 32 programs I found running in the background on startup. Most
of these I don't even recognize - wherever do I find what each does? Most
have such cryptic names it's impossible to know what they do or what they
belong to.

Anyway, I found that preventing CTSysvol.exe from loading at Startup, by
unchecking it in Run/Msconfig/Startup, returned my PC to normal.
CTSysvol.exe belongs to Creative Soundblaster and is responsible for loading
a volume control and a mixing board belonging to Creative Audigy. I use the
standard Microsoft volume control instead. All is well again - just thought
you'd like to know. Denzil

Old December 13th 05, 09:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:10:05 -0700, "Denzil Hathway"
wrote:

[...]

I use this site - it is has data on all progs you might find starting
up - with descriptions and recommendations

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

HTH

Cheers
Old December 14th 05, 04:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

wrote:

CTSysvol.exe belongs to Creative Soundblaster and is responsible for loading
a volume control and a mixing board belonging to Creative Audigy.

Glad you found the culprit. Speaking of Creative.... I run an Audigy
LS and a while back I did their online driver update wizard. The
updated driver caused so much squirrely stuff to happen that I
reverted back to the prior driver and all was well.

Regards,
Ed
Old March 18th 06, 04:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the link, Justin. Much appreciated.

Louie
Gainesville, FL USA
(eat the flies to email)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-2, 03/17/2006
Tested on: 3/18/2006 12:10:13 PM