Refilling Canon MP190

Old May 5th 09, 02:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers
NotMe

Default Refilling Canon MP190

From another ng: What you see is what I know.

Epson got nailed in a class action for bugging their printers with
electronic circuitry which caused the printer to quit and claim the
ink cartridge was empty when the cartridge still had plenty of ink in
it. Hahaha. Does my heart good to see a company get its butt kicked
in this age of gotcha capitalism.

http://forums.dealnews.com/read.php?9,2557783

Old May 5th 09, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I won't be an apologist for Epson. They deserved that lawsuit, although
almost all inkjet printers shut the printer down prior to the ink
running out. With thermal printers, the heads often are damaged if run
"dry", while piezo head are rarely damaged by this. Epson did this
mainly because they can be subjected to air locks (air getting stuck in
the head) and leasing ink in the head helps to prevent this.

As to companies getting kicked in the butt, Epson pleaded no contest to
this because the cost of trials is more than the settlement, however,
the vast majority of the amount Epson is paying out is going to the
lawyers behind the class action, not the class itself. The individuals
involved will get a discount on Epson';s e-store on line, or discounted
ink, or a maximum of $40 per printer.

No great deal for the humbled masses.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From another ng: What you see is what I know.

Old May 6th 09, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers
NotMe

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
:
[...]

The logical and ethical solution is for Epson and other manufactures to
quote USABLE ink quantity in the specifications.

More than a few years back the auto manufactures would disconnect all
accessories that were no absolutely necessary then run their mileage test.
FTC cleaned their collective plows.

Old May 7th 09, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I agree, but there is no agency that seem to oversee this type of
industry, unlike the auto industry. It is probably only going to be
dealt with if enough consumers take action and demand that their State
Attorney Generals (or equivalent), or Consumer Protection Agencies begin
to take action against these companies, or regulate them.

Old May 7th 09, 05:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers, alt.comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"NotMe" wrote in message
:

The logical and ethical solution is for Epson and other manufactures to
quote USABLE ink quantity in the specifications.

Perhaps logical and ethical, but it did not help Epson stave off
extortion. Epson and other manufacturers *did* quote deliverable ink,
they were sued over what was left in the ink delivery system as a buffer
to protect the printheads. Facts do not seem to matter much for
populist lawsuits. I recall a decade or so ago when Toshiba settled a
suit related to possibly faulty floppy controller chips. Although there
was never even an allegation that any consumer anywhere ever had data
corruption or suffered any damage, Toshiba paid out hundreds of
millions of $$$'s in settlements. The lawyers then used that settlement
to go after other PC manufacturers using the same chipset.

- Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old May 9th 09, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers
NotMe

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
:I agree, but there is no agency that seem to oversee this type of
: industry, unlike the auto industry. It is probably only going to be
: dealt with if enough consumers take action and demand that their State
: Attorney Generals (or equivalent), or Consumer Protection Agencies begin
: to take action against these companies, or regulate them.
:
That's were class action legal action plays a significant roll.

Old May 9th 09, 02:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
NotMe

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message
acquisition...
: "NotMe" wrote in message
: :
:
[...]

Long time back I was western hemisphere lead for a major international
manufacture. The ONLY thing that kept upper management even reasonably
receptive to doing the right thing was the treat of legal action especially
class action.

Old May 9th 09, 08:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

In fairness to the other side of this situation, Epson did have some
problems with very inaccurate ink reading, often leaving way too much
ink behind on certain models, well beyond what was necessary from a
mechanical or functional standpoint.

Also, their yield numbers for pages at 5% were based upon continual use
of the printer until the cartridge ran out and only cleanings that would
occur based upon the internal timers during those runs. Other than in a
production setting, that never occurs in real life. People constantly
turn their printers on and off, and they get head clogs that require ink
to be wasted. In fact, most Epson users who alter their printers so the
ink goes into a clear waste ink bottle outside of the printer are
shocked by how much ink is used during start up, cleaning and purging
cycles. Other printer brands have waste ink as well, although I
understand HP has reduced this by cycling their inks through the heads
and feeding the ink back with some models.

As much as there is abuse, absolutely, by legal entities taking
advantage of the cost of litigation to corner corporations and
manufacturers to settle awards that may not be fully justified, the
printer industry is not blameless is some of the cases against them, by
any means.

As one example, the use of "starter cartridges", which do not indicate
they have lesser yields, or simply state they should be replaced with
the more full versions when empty, and often no information on how those
starter cartridges compare with full ones (this is mainly done in the
laser printer and photocopier market these days).

Or manufacturers offering so-called "economy cartridges" after some
regulations required the printers to come with cartridges which are
available as retail stores SKUs, which were actually starter cartridges,
and were rarely purchased due to their poor yield relative to cost.

I could list many more "design features" which were really put in place
to make refilling difficult or to force "patent violations".

Personally, my attitude abut how class action lawsuits are carried out,
and their targets is "a pox on both their houses"...

Bob Headrick wrote:
"NotMe" wrote in message
:

The logical and ethical solution is for Epson and other manufactures to
quote USABLE ink quantity in the specifications.

Perhaps logical and ethical, but it did not help Epson stave off
extortion. Epson and other manufacturers *did* quote deliverable ink,
they were sued over what was left in the ink delivery system as a buffer
to protect the printheads. Facts do not seem to matter much for
populist lawsuits. I recall a decade or so ago when Toshiba settled a
suit related to possibly faulty floppy controller chips. Although there
was never even an allegation that any consumer anywhere ever had data
corruption or suffered any damage, Toshiba paid out hundreds of
millions of $$$'s in settlements. The lawyers then used that settlement
to go after other PC manufacturers using the same chipset.

- Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Canon MP190 Error E16 Override Guv Bob[_3_] Printers 0 April 16th 09 09:34 AM
Refilling Canon BCI-6 series? Bloggy Printers 16 April 4th 05 04:31 AM
Canon - refilling advid Printers 4 December 16th 03 07:36 PM
Canon Ink refilling.... advid Printers 4 September 29th 03 04:20 AM
Refilling Canon 9100 [email protected] Printers 5 September 24th 03 07:35 PM