audio editing software

Old August 19th 03, 03:46 AM
doerz

Default audio editing software

i have a very good audience recording of an acoustic show that a friend sent
me

the problem is that the sound (very clear) is emanating only from the right
speaker

is there a way i can edit and reburn the recording to get a fuller sound
from both speakers?

is there, by chance, some freeware or shareware that I could download to
accomplish this task?

thanks in advance for any help

Old August 19th 03, 04:59 AM
Mike Richter

doerz wrote:
i have a very good audience recording of an acoustic show that a friend sent
me

the problem is that the sound (very clear) is emanating only from the right
speaker

is there a way i can edit and reburn the recording to get a fuller sound
from both speakers?

is there, by chance, some freeware or shareware that I could download to
accomplish this task?

thanks in advance for any help

There is shareware - I like GoldWave, linked from my site - but do not
expect miracles. You need to determine what is 'wrong' with the left
channel. Was it simply recorded at low level or is it distorted in some
fashion? If at low level, you can amplify it selectively and, except for
any noise it contains, restore the balance. If it's distorted, you may
be better off discarding it and using only the right channel.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old August 19th 03, 06:49 AM
sethra

"doerz" wrote in
:

i have a very good audience recording of an acoustic show that a
friend sent me

the problem is that the sound (very clear) is emanating only from the
right speaker

is there a way i can edit and reburn the recording to get a fuller
sound from both speakers?

is there, by chance, some freeware or shareware that I could download
to accomplish this task?

thanks in advance for any help

You might check out CoolEdit or Sound Forge. Both are professional audio
editing software, and are going to cost you. Freeware with the kind of
editing capabilities you require might be a trick to find, but they might
have some leads in alt.comp.freeware.

I prefer CoolEdit
http://www.syntrillium.com

And I have a friend who swears by Sound Forge
http://www.sonicfoundry.com

HTH

--
~sethra
Old August 19th 03, 08:04 AM
Graham Mayor

If you remember that you cannot put back into the recording anything that
wasn't recorded in the first place, you may be able to raise the level of
the left channel to make it usable. Before spending money on this, I would
suggest that you investigate the WAV editor in Nero which you may already
have. While not up to the ultimate standard of the applications others have
mentioned, it is quite useful and certainly up to identifying what the
problem might be.

--

Graham Mayor