IPP capable LAN print server?

Old August 12th 11, 07:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Justin[_15_]

Default IPP capable LAN print server?

I have acquired a Samsung ML-1740. Used, cheap but works well.
Now I want to put it on my home LAN. I have used Jetdirect ports before
but since I'm using both PCs and Macs I think an IPP capable server
would be a better idea. This way, I just assign the print server a
static, IP and print right to that IP. I'm looking at a used Gigafast
EE171-PR on ebay. According to Newegg it supports IPP.
Any recommendations on a particular print server?
Old August 12th 11, 12:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Justin"

I have acquired a Samsung ML-1740. Used, cheap but works well.
Now I want to put it on my home LAN. I have used Jetdirect ports before but since I'm
using both PCs and Macs I think an IPP capable server would be a better idea. This way,
I just assign the print server a static, IP and print right to that IP. I'm looking at
a used Gigafast EE171-PR on ebay. According to Newegg it supports IPP.
Any recommendations on a particular print server?

It is USB and Parallel device.

You can use an external parallel HP JetDirect (300x) or an external USB HP JetDirect
(310x). I have always found HP JetDirects to be the best.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old August 12th 11, 04:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jeff Jonas

In article ,
Justin wrote:
I have acquired a Samsung ML-1740
Now I want to put it on my home LAN.

I have a Intel NetportExpress 10/100 Print Server.
It supports several protocols, 10/100-base-t
but I think it is parallel port only.
It is not in use right now but it was easy to set up
for Linux and Windows. $20 new from a surplus dealer.

I do NOT recommend Hawking Technology's printer servers.
Despite being network devices,
they seem to require Windows for setup/administration.