".....encountered a problem and needs to close"....help?

Old February 25th 05, 08:44 AM
jtsnow

Default ".....encountered a problem and needs to close"....help?

During installation of a program I get the message:
"GLJ2.tmp has encountered a problem and needs to close"
How can I find the source of the issue and hopefully fix it?

Details:
This program was previously installed and worked fine for a long time until
I recently uninstalled and tried to reinstall..
The same file works fine on another PC.
This is a DirectX program.
I have XP SP2, DirectX 9.

What I tried:
I have tried starting in every compatibility mode...w/same result.
I have tried to install during Safe Mode...same result.
I have stopped all firewall, virus, worms scans...same result
I have successfully installed on another PC w/XP SP2.
I have done a system restore to a week earlier...same bad result.

I must be something that is configured on my PC that I hope is easy to
change, since it works on the other PC.

Any tips appreciated to trouble shoot and hopefully find a solution.

Thanks

Old February 25th 05, 05:17 PM
JAD

did you delete the windows/temp directory?
or make it read only?
is GLJ2.tmp part of the install or is it some other program that is failing
to load?
are you loading from a CD?
try cleaning the disk, try a different rom.

Old February 26th 05, 12:34 AM
jtsnow

thanks. I try deleting the temp folder. Im installing from a file on the
harddrive. I dont know that that GLJ2.tmp is. My bet is its a windows
thing.

Old February 26th 05, 02:42 AM
jtsnow

Ok..I deleted all files in windows/temp and windows/prefetch and in the
registry I deleted the software folders with the app. and rebooted.

Same problem. I tried installing many times and the Error message keeps
referencing GLJa.tmp...or GLJ2t.tmp...etc. It just keeps incrementing the
file name. but always GLJ*.tmp

Ill google and see if that hits anything.
thanks!