Thinking of buying a K8V. Any advice?

Old February 3rd 04, 01:39 PM
Paul Gardiner

Default Thinking of buying a K8V. Any advice?

Hi,
Getting close to time to build a new system. Had good experiences with
ASUS before. Thinking of getting a K8V. I've looked through this group
and haven't seen much discussion of problems. Anything I should be
careful of - graphics card to avoid, choosing memory, etc?

Or maybe there's an altogether better board I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
Paul.

Old February 3rd 04, 11:37 PM
Boff

"Paul Gardiner" wrote in message
Hi,
Getting close to time to build a new system. Had good experiences with
ASUS before. Thinking of getting a K8V. I've looked through this group
and haven't seen much discussion of problems. Anything I should be
careful of - graphics card to avoid, choosing memory, etc?

Or maybe there's an altogether better board I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
Paul.

Only major issue with these boards that I'm aware of is that earlier builds
used bad capacitors that could bulge, burst, and leak. Asus is aware of the
problem and posted a description of the capacitors and what to look for on
their support site.

Here is a link to the description:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/q...px?KB_ID=85257
Aside from that issue, the board is an excellent choice for an Athlon 64
build. I just built one myself with no difficulties whatsoever. So as long
as you make sure you're not getting one with problematic capacitors, I
highly recommend one.

Boff

Old February 4th 04, 09:45 AM
Paul Gardiner

"Boff" wrote in message t...

"Paul Gardiner" wrote in message
Hi,
Getting close to time to build a new system. Had good experiences with
ASUS before. Thinking of getting a K8V. I've looked through this group
and haven't seen much discussion of problems. Anything I should be
careful of - graphics card to avoid, choosing memory, etc?

Or maybe there's an altogether better board I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
Paul.

Only major issue with these boards that I'm aware of is that earlier builds
used bad capacitors that could bulge, burst, and leak. Asus is aware of the
problem and posted a description of the capacitors and what to look for on
their support site.

I'll look out for that then.

Here is a link to the description:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/q...px?KB_ID=85257
Aside from that issue, the board is an excellent choice for an Athlon 64
build. I just built one myself with no difficulties whatsoever. So as long
as you make sure you're not getting one with problematic capacitors, I
highly recommend one.

Thanks for the feedback. Does look like this will be the board I go for.

Cheers,
Paul.

proc/mbo buying advice boky General 1 November 25th 04 09:54 PM
Any advice on buying CD burners? zalzon Homebuilt PC's 18 January 13th 04 07:56 AM
Advice on buying Ergonic chair for computer Scattershot@@ General 7 October 26th 03 03:07 PM
Computer Buying Advice [email protected] General 5 September 3rd 03 07:58 AM
thinking of buying dvd burner donker Cdr 3 July 18th 03 06:14 PM