I'd Love Some Suggestions

Old October 19th 07, 10:26 AM
D.Luter D.Luter is offline
Junior Member

Arrow I'd Love Some Suggestions

Hello there. I've been bored with my tired-*** compy and am going to do a whole new build, where cash is not really an issue (within some semblance of reason, of course). Really, I mean maxing EVERYTHING out. Like so:

WD 1 TB Hard Drive - WD10EACS
WD 10,000 RPM Hard Drive WD1500AHFD
2 x XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra
8 GB GSkill DDR2-800
ThermalTake ATX Power Supply – W0133
CoolerMaster ATX Tower Case – RC-830
Lite-On CD/DVD Writer – LH-20A1P
Mitsumi Floppy Drive with Card Readers – FA404M
Razer Gaming Keyboard – Tarantula
Razer Gaming Mouse – DeathAdder
Intel Quad Core Processor – BX80562QX6850
ECS Quad Core Motherboard with SLI and DDR2 - NF650ISLIT-A
Windows Vista Operating System – Ultimate

Couple of questions, really.

1) How maxed out is this system? Any suggestions for higher-end parts? Even if it's just a suggestion to a different brand that will give me better specs, let me know!

2) What's the estimated overclock on these parts (videocards, memory, and processor, namely)? Is it worth the cost of brand new parts (I've heard top of the line parts don't tend to overclock as well, since they often push near their true peaks nowadays)?

3) Are there any substitutions I could/should make that would cut costs (any parts that overclock high enough to match or surpass these parts that I can get much cheaper)? I know there are lots that will overclock to similar speeds as the stock here, but I mean is there anything that will go past even this rigs overclocking potential?

4) As you can see, I picked a nice, spacious case, that can hold up to nine 120 mm fans, and should hold two 8800 Ultras (right?). Question is, is that enough? I *know* if I do any MAJOR overclocking, I need some direct cooling for the CPU, and possibly the RAM and GPU - any suggestions? I should also note that I'm not really interested in water cooling - yeah, I know it's quieter and better for overclocking, but it's a hassle (in my mind, at least), and I likes my big fans!

Your thoughts are welcome and much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

D.Luter