XFX 7800GS AGP disappointment

Old June 16th 06, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default XFX 7800GS AGP disappointment

Just got one for my Aopen mx46-800n (SIS661FX). It shows marginally less fps
in Flight Sim 9 than the original GEForce 5700 . Did I jump into this
purchase with unreal expectations? I really did expect better but it was an
impulse buy :-).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers, Dom.

P4 2ghz
2gb ddr

Old June 16th 06, 06:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

FS9 is a processor hungry program. You'd have seen better improvement
upgrading your 2Ghz processor. My system is used 90% for FS9, and 10% for
video editing, and I have a Athlon64 3500+, with a Radeon X700PRO 256Meg
card. I get fps between 15 and 20 no matter how busy the scenery is, and
that's in a PMDG a/c. Occasionally will drop to 11 or 12 for a few seconds,
but only in places like Sydney, using VOZ 1.2, with 100% traffic, and a
storm over the airfield.
processor, processor, processor. Sure, you still need a good graphics card,
but the program need processor power more.
Crash Lander

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

Old June 16th 06, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Pale Rider" wrote in message
Just got one for my Aopen mx46-800n (SIS661FX). It shows marginally less
fps in Flight Sim 9 than the original GEForce 5700 . Did I jump into this
purchase with unreal expectations? I really did expect better but it was
an impulse buy :-).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers, Dom.

P4 2ghz
2gb ddr

I am so disappointed that I underrated the proc :-). It is 3ghz.

Old June 16th 06, 09:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Pale Rider" wrote in message

Just got one for my Aopen mx46-800n (SIS661FX). It shows marginally
less fps in Flight Sim 9 than the original GEForce 5700 . Did I jump
into this purchase with unreal expectations? I really did expect
better but it was an impulse buy :-).

You wouldn't happen to have Vsync turned on, by any chance?

Old June 16th 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"DRS" wrote in message
"Pale Rider" wrote in message

Just got one for my Aopen mx46-800n (SIS661FX). It shows marginally
less fps in Flight Sim 9 than the original GEForce 5700 . Did I jump
into this purchase with unreal expectations? I really did expect
better but it was an impulse buy :-).

You wouldn't happen to have Vsync turned on, by any chance?

It is off.

Cheers, Dom.

Old June 17th 06, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I think something is wrong. Did you uninstall the old drivers beforehand?
I'd try switching the driver to the microsoft VGA, then uninstall the nvidia
drivers completely and get the latest build and install that.

rms

Old June 17th 06, 06:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Yeah - somethings wrong here

I see a significant increase in FPS in all my games going from my
6800ULTRA.
uninstall the drivers from control panel, then use driver cleaner pro
(free, google it),
reboot, install newest drivers.
Good luck!
Rob

Old June 17th 06, 06:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"rms" wrote in message
. net...
I think something is wrong. Did you uninstall the old drivers beforehand?
I'd try switching the driver to the microsoft VGA, then uninstall the
nvidia drivers completely and get the latest build and install that.

rms

Been there! Having had a sleep, I now recall that there is no AGP driver
installed. When I first got this mobo I put in all the mobo drivers
(SIS661FX) & couldn't get the original GEForce Ti 4200 working. It would
just keep crashing-reboot to winxp screen-reboot etc etc. Uninstalling the
AGP driver allowed the card to work, so Deja Vu.

After thinking about it I tried installing the latest AGP drivers & boom
crash reboot :-(. So this card works without the AGP drivers but as soon as
they are installed it just keeps falling over. Same old same old. Looks like
I'm stuck with a spare 'ultra fast'video card!! I just can't believe that
it's slower than my 5700.

Cheers, Dom.

Old June 17th 06, 07:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Hmm . sounds like a driver conflict to me. Use driver cleaner, clean
all nvidia drivers, and ati if you ever had an ati card in the box.
Make sure to get the latest motherboard/chipset drivers too, these
handle the AGP/GART/etc. stuff.

Rob